The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any interest in having TRD Rear Subframe Bushings remade?

AristoA

I'm not familiar with the policy on this website regarding posting matters like this. If I am infringing on any boundaries set by the site operators please let me know.

I have been in the process of slowly replacing all the rubber bushings on my 17 year old MKIV, and so in addition to having purchased new control arms and TRD control arm bushings, I am looking into changing some of the large bushings between the rear subframe and the chassis. In particular I have been searching for upgraded versions of items 13,14,15 from the diagram below.

Unfortunately, these items have been discontinued by TRD Japan since at least 2002, and I have been unable to procure a set from old stock. I have spoken with Carson Toyota in California (I am not affiliated with them) about this, and they directly contacted TRD Japan regarding the possibility of being able to make another run of these items. Surprisingly, their response was that they could remake all of them, but they would require a minimum order of 30 pairs of (14,15). Replacing these, unlike item 13 (the two large bushings at the front of the subframe), is a relatively easy job with all the suspension components remaining on the car.

Carson Toyota is still on the fence about going through with ordering 30 sets of (14,15), so I am trying to gauge the demand for such an item (14,15). Presumably, with enough interest, even (13) and (10, trailing arm bushings), which have also long been discontinued, could also be remade.

Edited by AristoA (see edit history)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that. I am not asking anyone to hand over any cash to me (actually, I would never even consider getting involved in this manner). I am simply trying to get feedback as to whether there is enough demand for this to have a reputable Toyota dealer arrange for these to be made.

Iis there any real benefit in using the TRD bushes ?

Whats the differance between them and the o/e bushes ?

Just for a comparison the four o/e subframe bushes are

£74.35 + vat x 2 and £57.05 + vat x 2 less whatever discount you can get

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

EDIT: Carson Toyota stated that the pricing on (14,15) would only be $84.21 US each! So, this is actually cheaper than the OEM piece which is $119 US. The only caveat on this is that Carson Toyota is unsure as to whether this is for the entire bushing+metal housing, or whether just for the bushing alone.

Thanks for the feedback on all of this.

Dnk: What I was told was that the price would be right around what the equivalent OEM piece would cost.

sdistc: You can already purchase the bushings for the front upper and lower control arms, as well the (11) bushing in the rear from any TRD dealer, since they are still in production. The other bushings I mentioned are the ones which would require a multiple buyer effort to get made, but the important point is that they can actually be remade.

I should also mention that the production time would be on the order of 60 days.

I'd like two sets for myself. I'll pass on this information to the dealer I mentioned, and hopefully they get the ball moving on this Just curious, would people even be interested in the large (13) bushings? The install of (13) is the only difficult one which would involve dropping the rear subframe.

Edited by AristoA (see edit history)

EDIT: Carson Toyota stated that the pricing on (14,15) would only be $84.21 US each! So, this is actually cheaper than the OEM piece which is $119 US. The only caveat on this is that Carson Toyota is unsure as to whether this is for the entire bushing+metal housing, or whether just for the bushing alone.

Thanks for the feedback on all of this.

Dnk: What I was told was that the price would be right around what the equivalent OEM piece would cost.

sdistc: You can already purchase the bushings for the front upper and lower control arms, as well the (11) bushing in the rear from any TRD dealer, since they are still in production. The other bushings I mentioned are the ones which would require a multiple buyer effort to get made, but the important point is that they can actually be remade.

I should also mention that the production time would be on the order of 60 days.

I'd like two sets for myself. I'll pass on this information to the dealer I mentioned, and hopefully they get the ball moving on this Just curious, would people even be interested in the large (13) bushings? The install of (13) is the only difficult one which would involve dropping the rear subframe.

Surely it wouldn't be worth doing unless you were to replace all the major subframe to chassis bushes...13,14,15