The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Protective Film - Paint

Paul

Hi all,

don't know what the proper name is but has anyone used this clear protective film that protects the paint work?

I'm not after putting it over the whole front of the car, just thinking about reducing stone chip damage to the wheel arch area of the side skirts and possibly the painted lower front lip (standard nose).

So, does it work, look good or shite? Oh, and wouldn't clear Fablon do the same job?

Paul

new VW's come with this as standard, its hard enough to put on them when the stuff is bought already shaped for the panel !

as its clear you cant touch the sticky side, then it sticks to itself, this stuff is a nightmare at the best of times,

as for getting some, WHSMITHS sticky back plastic :p

seriously i think FOLIATEC do a kit, but its not cheap

Dunno? are we?

I haven't seen the Foliatec stuff but it's called Paint Protection Film, yes it's clear and sticky and pricey!

I don't think that clear Fablon would do somehow (or sellotape) :D

Well steep for what it is, Demon Tweeks got it on their website at £22+ for a small roll.

Paul

Is 'Blade Tape' clear self adhesive then?

Mmmmmm, helicopter bits on me Supra :)

TBH, I'm only after protecting the inner wheel arch edge of the skirts so they don't turn white from chipped paint.

I guess the finish wouldn't be so important in this area, as long as it's clear and doesn't darken the colour too much then it'll work.

I hate it when they sell stuff like this at over inflated prices when it's gonna be the same as some normal coating/vinyl used for cheaper applications.

Paul