The mkiv Supra Owners Club

9k Rpm Limit

suprafan72

Being that I have a large turbo now to use its full potential I will need to rev my engine to 9k... What will I need to achieve this?

These are my thoughts

1. Billet Main Caps

2. Very good Rod's with Bolts

3. Pistons

4. Built Head With Oversized values, dual springs, 280 cam's Port Matching

5. Billet Cam Tensioner

Anything else?

Being that I have a large turbo now to use its full potential I will need to rev my engine to 9k... What will I need to achieve this?

These are my thoughts

1. Billet Main Caps

2. Very good Rod's with Bolts

3. Pistons

4. Built Head With Oversized values, dual springs, 280 cam's Port Matching

5. Billet Cam Tensioner

Anything else?

You should also budget in getting everything very finely dynamically balanced, including the camshafts.

If you are going for billet mains why would you not go 3.4 with a 4340 billet crank the one big issue has been how well the engines are line bored, so as you are going billet mains they need to be spot on and the weak point would logically become the stock crankshaft. Its a matter of personal taste but I would not use the ACL race bearings anymore, thats if you can even get them, I use Clevites and the best place to get those is from Paul Whiffin.

It might stand 9000 RPM for short bursts on a drag strip, but probably won't like it for extended periods on say a race circuit or up the motorway. My Skyline engine is all steel, built from ALL brand new top quality bits, it's properly balanced and put together, with proper cooling, and it's a shorter stroke than the 2JZ even before you start stroking the Toyota engine, yet my RPM limit is 8400.... 9000 is a lot of revs for a long floppy straight six crank. It'll need regular rebuilds and careful nurturing.

It might stand 9000 RPM for short bursts on a drag strip, but probably won't like it for extended periods on say a race circuit or up the motorway. My Skyline engine is all steel, built from ALL brand new top quality bits, it's properly balanced and put together, with proper cooling, and it's a shorter stroke than the 2JZ even before you start stroking the Toyota engine, yet my RPM limit is 8400.... 9000 is a lot of revs for a long floppy straight six crank. It'll need regular rebuilds and careful nurturing.

Point taken... It currently is at 8,200 rpm...Maybe arround 8,500 rpm is it's limits really..... Shame really as the Turbo comes in hard at high RPM...

Just a thought but is it not worth investigating getting the spool down with poss another Turbo which may work out cheaper than a rebuild on the engine?? I understand that the internals are somewhat unknown but this could be investigated when the head is replaced for a prep'ed head with the dual titanium valve springs.

Therefore leaving the Rev limit at 8k and getting the longer life out of the engine.

Just a thought but is it not worth investigating getting the spool down with poss another Turbo which may work out cheaper than a rebuild on the engine?? I understand that the internals are somewhat unknown but this could be investigated when the head is replaced for a prep'ed head with the dual titanium valve springs.

Therefore leaving the Rev limit at 8k and getting the longer life out of the engine.

Tend to agree, We will see what a built race head does.... and see if i can get my QSV working...or not..... Reving too high does make me feel nervous I must admit.

My car really won't be going down the drag strip, Just want a reasonably quick street car which will be good for mile events and fast road driving..

Then isn't a huge turbo, with a huge rev limit something that you'd never get to drive properly on the street?

If I was in for what you want, I'd be looking very closely at what Jamie has.

What's it like on the road now Andy? Any idea what rpm it makes full boost in top gear?

Does it make full boost in 2nd gear?

You get full boost around 5,500 in top gear Makes full boost in 2nd gear just.... To be honest its more of a top end car really.....Still seems very driveable on the street....