The mkiv Supra Owners Club

non turbo supra mods?

Guest suzanne4

Guest suzanne4

Hi everyone,

I am proud to say i have recently bought a na 95 reg supra. I apologize if this has been done to death, but i cant find the threads? What are the best mods for increasing the power of my car, im not thinking single turbo and 3-10k etc, maybe upto 1k. I already have a straight through 3" pipe to a 4" back box.

Help appreciated?

Mike

It's a question that is asked weekly, here is a recent thread on the subject

Power wise without spending a huge amount of money there are only a few modifications worth doing and these will only give you moderate gains in response and power - these are exhaust, decats and tubular manifold - don't bother with induction kits stick with the stock airbox for the best results. Regular service and new oxygen sensors will ensure the car is running at it's best.

Other than that I'd concentrate on optimising the handling and braking ie. making sure all suspension components are in good condition, geometry alignment check, good quality tyres, good quality brake pads, braided brake lines, brake fluid, etc.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest suzanne4

Thanks for the posts, i love the car so i think i'll hold onto it for a while, it has a de-cat pipe. I think if i really want more power then i'll do what you all say and trade in for a TT in time!

Thanks for the posts, i love the car so i think i'll hold onto it for a while, it has a de-cat pipe. I think if i really want more power then i'll do what you all say and trade in for a TT in time!

There are 2 cats on the Supra, does it still have one cat fitted or does the decat pipe replace both cats? The 1st cat (short one nearest the engine) is the most restrictive of the 2, removing both cats will make the car feel more responsive and rev freer.

2JZ-GE tubular exhaust manifold this replaces the stock cast manifolds and 1st cat.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8473/p1030161sa4.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1831/p1030162uk1.jpg

2JZ-GE stock cast manifolds and 1st cat/aftermarket tubular manifold.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2048/mani2jpgzp8.jpg

Fitting a SS manifold like what Nic posted was probably the best thing i did to mine, it does make it seriously loud though, but at the same time at exactly 3krpm has an annoying rasp.

End of the day they arnt going to be fast, no matter what you do but with the above you should match and/or beat things like civic typeR's, wrx's.

Just enjoy the car for what it is :)