The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bilstein and Chris Wilson suspension fitted... what a difference!

benedwards64

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to CW for sorting me out with a set of yellow Billies and his own springs for my NA. I ordered these a couple of weeks ago from Chris and it all turned up two days later. It was all fitted by a local friendly garage (Haynes car care in Wallingford - very good if anyone's nearby).

As well as fitting the new shocks and springs, I've had all of the subframe bolts re-torqued. This alone made a massive difference - I was getting a whole cacophony of clonks and bangs before which I had put down to knackered droplinks perhaps, but with everything tightened up and the new bits in place the suspension is beautifully tight and knock-free. Chris also helped Haynes with the setting up of the ride-height, so the car is now beautifully poised and rides/handles so much better than on the old tired setup.

So, many thanks to CW who lived up to his reputation and bent over backwards to be as helpful as possible, and remember to check those subframes people! It now feels like I have a totally different car :D

Thank you Ben, and at the risk of doing myself out of some work the chap I spoke at length with at Haynes Car Care was obviously genuinely caring and considerate, with a good knowledge of suspension. I see quite the opposite approach sometimes, when garages ring me asking about stuff :) Glad the set up is to your liking Ben, pleasure to do business with you.

What does one of these cost?

I'd nearly be tempted to let you have my Chris Wilson fast road set up (revalved dampers with ride height adjustment & custom springs) complete with top mounts for about a grand plus delivery.

Theres 1000km on them at most.

I think I'd like to go with a pure track set-up from the same man.

What does one of these cost?

Mine came to about £890ish including VAT for standard (not re-valved) Bilsteins and Chris' NA springs. I guess it sounds like a fair amount to spend on a car that's maybe worth £3k, but it's more than worth it IMO. I've tried to do cheap suspension 'upgrades' to cars in the past and have always been disappointed (I almost ruined my old MR2 with a set of Jamex springs - it looked great but rode terribly!)

My thoughts with my Supra are very much 'do it once, do it right,' and it's certainly paid off here :D

I'll just post up my 2 cents here as well.

I drove the car to Chris 2½ years ago from Denmark to get his suspension fitted and havent regretted it for at second. It rides beautifully and the only times I've felt "short commings" have been when the car was pushed on the Nürbrugring. On other "lesser" tracks, I've had no worries at all. On the Ring I lack a bit more sharpness and firmness but that is EASILY traded in for the perfect on road handling, which is where it spends 99,9% of its time.

Just read above that retorquing the subframe can help on strange noises. I have a strange "pong" sound like a metallic release of tension in my rear, left wheel well. It's been there for years, originally only in the wet (?!) and dissapeard after Chris fitted the suspension. Now its there constantly and seem to be most prone to make the sound on camber changes or weight shifts as opposed to just bump/droop movements.

I've got NO clue how to trouble shoot on this as I cannot force the sound when stationary. So, would it be good the retorque the subframe or should I look elsewhere?

Sorry for a bit of thread hijacking ;-)

Could be top rear wishbone inner bearings. You need to buy the whole arm assembly off Toyota, the bearings are not replaceable. They are about £330 each, so be sure it *IS* them first ;) Thanks for the kind words on the CW suspension. I can offer more race orientated set ups if required. It's easy to make a car a real dog on the road though.

Well, it doesn't. I could stab the rubber with a screw driver and it seemed nice and soft under the inch thick layer of rust proofing. Coudn't move the wishbone. Only if I used the screwdriver as a lever it could move it a bit side to side. So, guessing thats not it. I think I'll try to throw it up on an lift with weight on the wheels and see if I can move anything around... Thanks