The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to join Supra world. Advice on buying Facelift SZ-R

Guest Maxim

Guest Maxim

Good afternoon all,

I have always wanted a Supra but much like other things, with life and it's priorities. It just has not happened thus far.

Anyway, recently at my new work place. I met a guy who has the below and is interested in doing some kind of part ex for my Caterham plus cash my way. Except, I have no idea what his car is worth! I will list the details here and perhaps someone can help. In terms of how rare the below car is and whether it is one of the good ones to buy and at how much. All I can say, I have seen the car. It's always garaged and done a genuine 20000 miles since new. It looks immaculate in white with exceptional bodywork and interior condition.

1996 Facelift Supra SZ-R Model - Non Turbo

20000 Miles Since New

Import

White - I think it's called Super White II

6 Speed Getrag Gearbox (factory fitted)

Factory LSD

Model: E-JZA80-ALFSF

Engine: 2JZ-GE

Trans/Axle V161 A02B

I do not have any pictures but the car is 100% standard except for exhaust and wheels. The seats are like new, the carpets look as though they have just come out of the packaging.

On the whole, it just looks meticulously cared for and never abused.

Looking for peoples advice etc. I always thought the 6 speed models were Turbo but this seems its not the case. Is this some kind of limited edition model and just exactly what would it be worth in the above condition.

I like the car but I do not want to get a bad deal especially with the caterham worth a lot.

Thanks for any help!

Maxim

There will be others along with better knowledge than me I'm sure, but the most I have seen a 6 speed N/A advertised for was about £5500. If I remember correctly this was described as expensive.

N/As tend to be in the £2-4k bracket.

You are well into TTAuto prices at £5500 and not too far from a TT6.

If you have a Caterham I would strongly suggest you look for a TT6 with full BPU to give you 390-420 BHP.

Maxim,

I would be very suspicious about the mileage. The car will be an import and I would wonder if there was any evidence to support the mileage when it was imported?

It does sound mint however. I would get a damn good look underneath the car and see if 20K miles is reasonable. My TT hardly moves and it has done 3K miles this year. This would be a 15 year old car that has averaged 1350 miles per year, every year? As for price, if all apsects are correct with documented mileage and MOT's then I would say this car is worth £5500 of anyones money. The gearbox alone is worth £2500.

Performance will be your problem. NA supras are 200 - 225 Bhp and quite heavy so they are not quick off the mark at all. There is a reasonable burst of pace in second and third gear at high revs but nothing to really write home about. As far as getting a TT for the same money, your chances of finding a mint one are limited. Be prepared to spend an awful lot of time and money trying to find a straight car in good condition.

It maybe worth getting a local member to give the car a looking over and an informed opinion.

H.

20000 miles since new

I d go for a TT6 if I was you. I think you would be disappointed with the power of an NA.

......couldn't agree more......a caterham is like a go-kart......I also think you would be dissapointed if you like a quick car......a very different car.

Guest Maxim

Thanks for the replies people.

You are all correct about the power but since the purchase of the Atom, the Caterham was always to be sold. Therefore, I am not looking for a direct replacement to the Caterham.

I have the driven the car and although the power may not be there, I like the overall package. I would much rather have a mint £5500 car than buy a low end

Blimey, is the gearbox really worth £2500!? The box in this feels like new.

Thanks for the replies people.

You are all correct about the power but since the purchase of the Atom, the Caterham was always to be sold. Therefore, I am not looking for a direct replacement to the Caterham.

I have the driven the car and although the power may not be there, I like the overall package. I would much rather have a mint £5500 car than buy a low end

Blimey, is the gearbox really worth £2500!? The box in this feels like new.

Yes, if you were to ever strip the car the box, pedals, slave cylinder go for £2500 quite easily.

There are cars on here running up to 1000bhp on that box!

Oh, and pics of your cars otherwise we don't believe you..:D

I loved my 6 speed NA, it's nice to drive hard and definitely the most nimble (relative!) of the supras..............I took one from 50K to 100K miles with very few problems and i'd put money on this car giving you very little trouble if the milage is genuine. The gearbox helps you make the most of the limited power, the LSD lets you have a play and the lighter weight makes a noticable difference (less understeer) than a stock TT.

The guy may struggle to sell it right now as things seem slow..............I would be very interested in it for £4,000 (ie you could get this for it I think if you disliked it after a while) but I'd also say he is very unlikely to get £6,000. I'd still be tempted at £5,000 if everything checked out and was as good as it sounds but i'm slightly biased towards these models, the guys that talk of the price being near auto TT's are right in a way as that seems to be the market - ie the powerful and cheap sell and the lower powered but good condition low miles can struggle to fetch a good/equivalent price....