The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjustable Suspension - Do I need it?

Samurai 20V

Hello chaps..

I am almost complete with the BPU on my car, TRD single plate clutch and EBC will also be going in soon..

As I mentioned, my car is mainly for street use, occasional use on the track and drag strip.

I am trying to decide whether spend some more cash on adjustable suspensions.

Are TEIN coilovers worth the money? Search brings up differing opinions on here.. I was considering either Tein FLEX or Super steets. Opinions on these?

I have OEM bilsteins and some unknown lowering spring, not sure if with my usuage I should upgrade? The car handles pretty good as is, and rides quite well...

If I do buy, I dont want to break the bank...Should I consider any other brands, Cusco, JIC, HKS Hypermax?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

To be honest, I'd avoid the super streets if they're the same design as a few years back.

Go for something dual perch and more suited to road use (not ideal, but more suited). I have MeisterR's on my Integra and it seems HSD's also come highly recommended.

HKS and the likes seem highly thought of, but not for road use I wouldn't imagine.

Have a search, there's plenty of info here already :)

To be honest, I'd avoid the super streets if they're the same design as a few years back.

Go for something dual perch and more suited to road use (not ideal, but more suited). I have MeisterR's on my Integra and it seems HSD's also come highly recommended.

HKS and the likes seem highly thought of, but not for road use I wouldn't imagine.

Have a search, there's plenty of info here already :)

The search has been confusing me, some ppl say the TEINs are rubbish, others not...

Mitchell, could you give some specifics on the Teins?

I Have Tein super streets...they have been on for 4 years still as good as new.....Had them adjusted last week as I wanted to lift the car a little and they adjusted no problem...some seize solid......the garage said the quality of these is very good....but I must admit with 19 inch alloys and with the coilovers on the softest setting its still quite a firm ride!!

I Have Tein super streets...they have been on for 4 years still as good as new.....Had them adjusted last week as I wanted to lift the car a little and they adjusted no problem...some seize solid......the garage said the quality of these is very good....but I must admit with 19 inch alloys and with the coilovers on the softest setting its still quite a firm ride!!

Thanks mate.. How is the handling with the Super Streets?

Dave, looking to buy in Japan so HSD is not an option. Thanks for your input..

Coilovers is such a misnomer, as stock suspension is coilover, coil spring over damper. Question is do you need adjustable suspension? If you dont just get minty fresh Bilsteins and some new springs at a rating of your choosing. If you werent in Japan Id say speak to Chris Wilson.

Ive had Teins (harsh and crashy) JIC Magics (very supple yet firm) and HSD's (pretty good for a budget set up)

Coilovers is such a misnomer, as stock suspension is coilover, coil spring over damper. Question is do you need adjustable suspension? If you dont just get minty fresh Bilsteins and some new springs at a rating of your choosing. If you werent in Japan Id say speak to Chris Wilson.

Ive had Teins (harsh and crashy) JIC Magics (very supple yet firm) and HSD's (pretty good for a budget set up)

Ok, I understand your point... I suppose adjustable suspension is a nice to have.. I am trying to determine which is brand is best suited to a road car used occasionally on a track..

The brands I would consider are

- Tein

- Cusco

- JIC

- HKS Hypermax

You already have coilovers fitted, as do all Supra's :)

Why are you thinking of changing - is you current spring/damper setup not meeting your requirements? How are they not meeting them? I.e. too much/too little spring rate, do you require a firmer damper adjust? Balancing issue? Too much front or rear roll?

You can't just slap on a new set of aftermarket suspension, they all need to be setup for your requirements. Without knowing which areas you want adjust it's a bit of a waste of money to start replacing parts at random.

You already have coilovers fitted, as do all Supra's :)

Why are you thinking of changing - is you current spring/damper setup not meeting your requirements? How are they not meeting them? I.e. too much/too little spring rate, do you require a firmer damper adjust? Balancing issue? Too much front or rear roll?

You can't just slap on a new set of aftermarket suspension, they all need to be setup for your requirements. Without knowing which areas you want adjust it's a bit of a waste of money to start replacing parts at random.

Thanks Homer, I am up to speed with the terminology now!

Honestly speaking, I havent pushed the car to the limits to pin point the actual setup that I want out of the car... The car handles fine at the moment, when I point it into a corner it goes through at a reasonably quick speed, without any drama. I need to get some track time in to check the weakness on the car with the current setup (OEM Bilsteins and some lowering springs).

The reason I was thinking of changing was purely because there some good deals that I have come across for adjustable suspension, TEIN in particular. Hence I was trying to determine which brand would be best to go for considering the car is essentially a street car used occasionally on the track and drag strip...

I would first get the all the OEM suspension arms, bushes, joints, etc. checked for wear and replace with brand new OEM parts where needed, I would then get the geometry/alignment done, these things can make a huge difference to the ride quality, traction and handling. After doing that if you are not happy with the damping and springs fitted then I would look at alternatives.

Did you fit 19" wheels in the end? If so dump them and fit some 17's/18's :)

I would first get the all the OEM suspension arms, bushes, joints, etc. checked for wear and replace with brand new OEM parts where needed, I would then get the geometry/alignment done, these things can make a huge difference to the ride quality, traction and handling. After doing that if you are not happy with the damping and springs fitted then I would look at alternatives.

Did you fit 19" wheels in the end? If so dump them and fit some 17's/18's :)

I had the car up on the ramp this weekend, the suspension bushes etc looked in good nick with a quick visual check, however I will send it for a proper check for these items..

Alignment will be done soon, as I did order 19 inch wheels... Sorry Nic, just love the look of the 19's... I still have my OEM 17s on which I will be slapping some decent rubber on for the really aggressive driving...

But I think you are right, I will look at the adjustable stuff as a last option...

Any recommendations on a brand?

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)