The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This tool has lost a tool in the engine bay

Josh

I took the spark plug cover off for fun (I was bored) and as I was screwing it back on, the tool I was using (allen key end with extension) got stuck in the head of the bolt. As I pulled it, it came out of the handle I was using and fell down here;

It's fallen down here;

As the lost piece is magnetic, I managed to get it with a long screwdriver but it lifted up a bit, fell off and fell back down there but out if sight (further towards the block). I've spent an hour and a half trying to get it back, but alas, it's not coming out.

Any idea how I can get it back? I've tried from underneath but I can't find or feel it. I'm not sure if as it's magnetic, it's stuck to something down there.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

I can't help but I do feel better that these things happen to other people.

I think getting at it from underneath or removing the undertray is the way forward.

H.

Undertray removed and I can see where it would have fallen to but it's well out of sight/reach. Just hoping I don't have to take it all apart to find it.

I'm giving up for today and just going to have a beer to relax after the stress :D

I'll give it another good go tomorrow!

Go for a drive it might fall out.

So there's nothing down there that would be damaged/affected by it moving around? I tried jacking the car up on the drivers side in hope it would roll out but it didn't work.

I was also thinking starting the engine might rock it free but I don't want to risk damage.

Go for a DRINK and forget about it :)

Cool. So there's nothing down there that it could damage?

It's a shame as it's a part from a tool kit I've not long had.

Time to crack the first beer open and forget about it then.

Cheers guys :)

It would be far more cost effective to leave the thing to its own devices and just buy a new one. It's amazing what I find when I take undertrays off cars :) Taking seats out can be positively embarrassing and even a health risk.... :(

Yep a bit of cost benefit analysis required here Josh I think :)

Just go sideways (at both angles direction) down a nice empty road & then try getting a jump off a hill. That should without a doubt get it out & as the only thing it could damage down there is pretty much nothing (though it could chip the outer block on impact), you should be fine! :D

He looked in the mirror and it was there ;)

:shock:

I didn't find it. Turned the car on and it didn't come out then went for a nice long drive (at reasonable speeds ;)) and it's either still in there or it's on the road somewhere.

All good :D