The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels nuts

SupraD06

Hi guys, after a bit of advice as id rather be safe than sorry. I ordered a set of the following wheel nuts from Ebay after reading about them in a thread on here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-TUNER-WHEEL-NUTS-x-20-ROTA-12x1-5-mm-Toyota-/330578270857?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item4cf8001a89

And after reading that its better to go for steel nuts rather than soft alloy, these seemed like a good buy. However when they arrived today, ive noticed that although they are 12 x 1.5mm, there is only a small amount of tapered seat that meets the alloy compared to the stock nuts, is this dangerous to be halving the amount of contact between nut and alloy?

Cheers guys

Just seems like there is very little to grab against, if you look at the amount of taper you get on something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D1-Spec-Wheel-Nuts-P1-5-Long-BLUE-TOYOTA-MAZDA-MR2-RX7-/200601578129?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item2eb4c92a91

Compared to the ones in post#1, they seem to be alot shorter, will get one of the wheels off tomorrow and see how much they actualy touch, if they are almost on the point of passing through the alloy, then i'll send them back and choose again.

Yea i was looking at the Rays wheel nuts, and those are like the D1's you linked to there. Says in the description, they are made with a more tapered bottom for use with aftermarket alloys.

(however they do cost a fair bit more >

Will look out for what you find out tommorow with your test fit! : )

UPDATE

I did'nt get chance to have a look into this yesterday, but had a few hours free this afternoon so thought id see what i could find out, In the first picture you can clearly see the difference between the amount of tapered area that each nut has. The nut on the left is Stock, the middle one is a set i had from Ibrar ( Speedwells ) on here, and the blue one is obviously the new one. When seated in the alloy, the first two seem to sit level with the face of the wheel, where as the new one slips further down the hole.

But when i turned the wheel round you can clearly see that the nut is far bigger than the hole, so even though it's a smaller nut, i cant see any chance of it ever passing through the alloy. These nuts are made of steel so once torqued up i dont think there will any problems.

Quick snap of how they will look when fitted