The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Triple Pillar Pod Custom Project

Noz

Hi all.

Been meaning to upload photos of this for a few days, I'm sure you've seen triple pillar pods around (very rare but some companies made a few).

I considered selling my universal triple pod as I didn't have to time to attach it properly.

Finished my HND so had loads of spare time and decided to do a custom job on it.

I've included stage photos, yellow primer is my filler primer. Grey was top coat primer, alot thinner.

At one stage thought I'd nailed it and gave it a coat of grey, was wrong and lots of little ditchs popped up!!

Anyway, it's all sorted now, hopefully get some good feedback

Thanks for looking.

Nice work dude, the universal one i got was so far out fitment wise, not even cutting up to do a similar thing to what you did would work (overhung the edge of the pillar by about a half inch, and was where the gauge tub was so coudlnt cut it off >

Looks great though!! :thumbs:

That's a superb bit of work.

How long did it take you to do?

About 4 weeks mate, tried to do a bit each night after work then a few hours here and there on the weekend if I wasn't busy. Glad you like it :)

b;3164550']Nice work dude, the universal one i got was so far out fitment wise, not even cutting up to do a similar thing to what you did would work (overhung the edge of the pillar by about a half inch, and was where the gauge tub was so coudlnt cut it off >

Looks great though!! :thumbs:

Half an inch over hang is loads, would have been tricky to get that to smooth!

Was thinking maybe I should try and do a quad pillar pod? Depends if it would take up too much room.

Possibly have a single pod on top of the lowest pod in the triple. Would be `different`, Im happy with my triple tho so I might do it and try and sell it?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks David. yes, i wired in an 10k potentiometer into the dash (i will get a pic of this and upload it into the thread). The dash circuit has a reducing voltage when the light increases with brightness, instead of trying to figure out why this was (probably due to an earth switch rather than directly controlling power but controlling an earthing point) I just manually control the power to each gauge. Its pretty bright at night times, but when your going down e.g. link road with no one around the contrast is too much.

i have a couple more gauges to go in, il wire them up to the same resistor.

if your wiring in your own gauges, typically you would be aware of these sorts of components, thought it was a good idea to do it manually.

you always have to pick holes in something :rolleyes:

I have 6 of those gauges in the top glove box, but still find them too bright even over there.

If you have found a way to dim them, I would be very interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139808[/ATTACH]

Even my own work. :yeahthat:

I thought you were a 'perfectionist' too. :think:

I have swapped them around a bit since that snap, the group of four are now all AEM data loggers which will help the ECU control the engine and the group 6 will monitor what the supercharger is doing to the engine and transmission.

No I don't have a dimmer switch wired in.

I tried using a Supra Rheostat without success, but LED's are good at bamboozling me.

As asked before, if you have found a way to dim them, I would be pleased to learn how you did.

indeed i did. i wired in a potentiometer, a variable resistor and linked this into the lighting circuit.

if you go down to your friendly maplins store and buy a potentiometer (i bought 10k, though a small value would probably work better as i have 50% adjustable variation with no light whatsoever) and wire it into your LED light wire for the gauges.

check here mate for different ones, the 4k7 should be sufficient.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=potentiometer

when you get it, check the response with a volt meter, make sure you wire it the correct way, as you will typically want to dim the light down when you turn it auto clockwise (as most stuff in industry works on a voltageincrease-clockwise function). you know what i mean when you wire it.

need anymore help just ask mate :)

Edited by Noz (see edit history)