The mkiv Supra Owners Club

strange power steering :(

suprab

my power steering at idle is extremely heavy (undrivable) just blip the throttle or hold higher revs and it perfectly normal until idle again,did anyone ever have a similiar issue? what was the fix, new pump? also this just happened out of the blue, was nearly home after a drive for an hour or so

You need to measure pump outlet pressure when turning the steering at idle. it could be the pump has a worn rotor, or it could be weepy rack seals. I could do this, but would need to make up a pressure adaptor, which I would have to charge for. To be honest the cheapest, quickest and easiest option is to take a risk and try a new pump. I would also make sure the gauze in the bottom of the fluid reservoir is TOTALLY clean and clear, (wash it out with brake cleaner, thinners, or petrol), and that the O ring and the pipe for the SUCTION side of the pump are perfect with NO air leaks allowing the pump to suck air. If it were to be doing this it would usually be noisy though. Is it noisy? Has it lost any fluid in use?

wow thanks chris, alot of info there, no it is not noisy at all and has not lost any fluid. this just happened after a good hour drive, lucky i was just turning into my drive when it went... now you can hardly turn the steering but tap the throttle and its normal.

probably just bite the bullet and get a pump

Rab, if you want to borrow the pump from my NA engine to see if it cures the problem you are more than welcome to it buddy.

I think NA and TT pumps are interchangable if the fluid inlet is swapped over.

It was definitely working fine when the engine was removed and you can hold onto if for as long as you need it to be certain yours is faulty.

Rab, if you want to borrow the pump from my NA engine to see if it cures the problem you are more than welcome to it buddy.

I think NA and TT pumps are interchangable if the fluid inlet is swapped over.

It was definitely working fine when the engine was removed and you can hold onto if for as long as you need it to be certain yours is faulty.

cool thanks, ill let you know how it goes and i may take you up on your offer

Ha! I'm gonna be totally honest here, you're not the Rab I thought you were! Theres two of you with virtually the same name runnin' around this site & this bloody country!

I thought the other one just changed his avatar!

But the offer still stands buddy!

cool thanks, ill let you know how it goes and i may take you up on your offer