The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best and cheapest bodyshop in the nantwich/cheshire area?

Paul R

I suspect the words 'best' and 'cheapest**' won't really be associated with one another.

A lot of people on here have told me that the work and time needed to repray a car often means it isn't financially viable to do. For this reason I suspect the people that spray cars the 'cheapest' are more likely to be the worst painters.

(***if 'cheapest' is in fact a word)

Find me a cheap and very good bodyshop and I'll show you an awesome queue of motor traders! In 35 years I have yet to find one that lasts more than 5 minutes. I know a very good body shop in Whitchurch, but they are definitely not cheap. Energy costs for the heated spray booth, overheads meeting ever tighter and more lucicrous emissions and `elf `n' safety regulations, and the lack of good apprentices who want to do a job that involves physical work means successful body shops are costly affairs to run. Add a profit margin to the overheads and you get expensive paint jobs.

Find me a cheap and very good bodyshop and I'll show you an awesome queue of motor traders! In 35 years I have yet to find one that lasts more than 5 minutes. I know a very good body shop in Whitchurch, but they are definitely not cheap. Energy costs for the heated spray booth, overheads meeting ever tighter and more lucicrous emissions and `elf `n' safety regulations, and the lack of good apprentices who want to do a job that involves physical work means successful body shops are costly affairs to run. Add a profit margin to the overheads and you get expensive paint jobs.

Can you give me the details of the place in Whitchurch?

Cheers.

OK, as know one gave me any details of any places to try, I went out and got 3 quotes..well one of them is getting back to me but I know they are expensive!

First quote was from a place in crewe, macon park motors. They said they will do the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirt and spat + touch up any other scratches and stone chips for 450 + vat so 540 all in.

The next place was cheaper - he said he would do it for 450 inc vat. He showed me lots of pictures of his work, some high end stuff going on there - porches, mercs, insurance work.

Do these quotes sound about right?

Paul.

the place i use charge me 100 quid per pannel appart from large bits like bonnet. for example i had front wing sprayed and skirt repaired. Along with front bumper and that cost me 300. so id say 450 for that lot sounds about right.

id just choose who you will think would do the best job. but unless one is truely terrible i doubt you would see the difference. :)

I go by £150 + a panel for good work, £100 a panel for a "blow over", as a guide. I don't do bodywork and try and avoid recommending places as even if I didn't do the work people have given me grief if they don't like the end result ;)

Well, i think i'm going to take it to the place I found locally. He showed me lots of pictures of the work he's done, including custom stuff

Hey Chris how expensive is that place in Whitchurch looking at getting mine done, as getting quite a bit of rust on one of my rear wheel arch lips.

Cheers

Do I know you....? :) Morning Simon, they are quite dear, but very good. They used to do all Alan Minshaw's race cars (Demon Tweeks) and did my Skyline when it needed a new side in it, and my yellow Zeus. If you want to take it for a quote ask for Andrew. The place is called AMW Motors (Andrew Morgan-Wynn). They are BMW approved and a proper place. http://www.amwmotors.co.uk

Let us know how you get on, always good to know of decent body shops in the locale. Good luck Paul.

Will do. It wont be going in for 2 weeks as they cant fit me in until then. in the mean time, i may get a quote at the place you mentioned.

Is it normal practice to leave the bumpers/skirts etc on the car when they are sprayed? All of the places I've been to have said that they dont take the parts off as a rule.

I got mine done by a mate near Madeley - charged me £400ish to fit and spray front and rear bumpers.

The bumpers had not fittings on and he had to mess about with the Trial rear and the Signature front no end... he only works weekends (restoring a Shelby Gt at the moment!)

PM me if you fancy his number, you are welcome to come and look at my car, he did a good job, i`m not saying its perfect as it isn't, but its very good for the money.

Will do. It wont be going in for 2 weeks as they cant fit me in until then. in the mean time, i may get a quote at the place you mentioned.

Is it normal practice to leave the bumpers/skirts etc on the car when they are sprayed? All of the places I've been to have said that they dont take the parts off as a rule.

Chap above sprayed my front off the car but then fitted and when he had to slightly flex it to fit it cracked.... so he then had to respray with it on the car....

I dont know what the norm is but this is what happened with mine.

I got mine done by a mate near Madeley - charged me £400ish to fit and spray front and rear bumpers.

The bumpers had not fittings on and he had to mess about with the Trial rear and the Signature front no end... he only works weekends (restoring a Shelby Gt at the moment!)

PM me if you fancy his number, you are welcome to come and look at my car, he did a good job, i`m not saying its perfect as it isn't, but its very good for the money.

Cheers mate. Where in staffordshire are you? pop over for a cuppa one day? :-) We need to arrange a NW mini meet! there are 3 other supras that I know of in Nantwich.

Paul.

Right,

Change of plan - I decided to goto Peter Adderley in Crewe. I've used them before for my other cars and they ahve always been expensive, but very good. I thought they would charge a fortune for the work, but they have quoted £495 inc vat - So I am going to go with them again as I know they are good.

• 2 weeks later...