The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyo RA-1 not road legal!!!!

ADD

Went to get some toyo ra-1 fitted to the car today and he wouldn't fit them as apparently they don't have an 'E' number but do have a DOT number!! And aren't legal for road use!! BUT it says on toyo site they are street legal! Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Ad

Have you had tyres fitted there before?

I've had problems where a couple of garages refused to fit tyres because I didnt buy them from them. Could of just been an excuse?

The first garage wouldn't do it but the second one said they would but then cane back with this crap....

Tell them it's for a track car...

I will when I try next mate but had to take the supra there so it was hard to say that it wouldn't be driven on the road... He questioned the size too. 275 on a 9.5j fits fine but it's the max they recommend you to that wheel size.

Tell them it's for a track car...

I was going to say that but I'm guessing he needs them to remove the old tyres and fit the new ones and as he drove there, he'll have to drive back.

Very bad advice.

There must be a reason they are refusing to fit them and saying they are not road legal maybe as you stated they don't have an E stamp. Just fit some different tyres that are road legal as if you go to a 'friendly' garage to get them fitted you will be putting other road users at risk as well as yourself. Plus your insurance will be invalid and you will probably need to brush up on your technique of picking up the soap. Would you live with yourself if you killed someone because you had fitted tyres unsuitable for road use?

Very bad advice.

There must be a reason they are refusing to fit them and saying they are not road legal maybe as you stated they don't have an E stamp. Just fit some different tyres that are road legal as if you go to a 'friendly' garage to get them fitted you will be putting other road users at risk as well as yourself. Plus your insurance will be invalid and you will probably need to brush up on your technique of picking up the soap. Would you live with yourself if you killed someone because you had fitted tyres unsuitable for road use?

You absolutely right mate!!!!

Just annoys me that toyo days they are road legal!!

Reading up on them they are a track tyre and as such the tyre needs to reach 160 - 220 deg to get any grip out of them. They say they are not for road use as the temperatures in spring and autumn will mean the tyre will not get hot enough to give grip

Reading up on them they are a track tyre and as such the tyre needs to reach 160 - 220 deg to get any grip out of them. They say they are not for road use as the temperatures in spring and autumn will mean the tyre will not get hot enough to give grip

Thanks for that info matey, that's a real pain in the ars!! But oh well have to put some normal tyres on now then

Im sure a friendly tyre place would fit them, when my mt streets come through, the guys who have always fitted my tyres to all my cars and vans wouldnt batten an eye lid at fitting them. maybe different if they are actually fitting them to the car there and then though...

Thanks for that info matey, that's a real pain in the ars!! But oh well have to put some normal tyres on now then

Np. If you want to get rid cheep and they are 17" I'll take the 275's but I don't have much cash so will have to be megga cheep lol

I guess they will be useable as drag tyres :)

Np. If you want to get rid cheep and they are 17" I'll take the 275's but I don't have much cash so will have to be megga cheep lol

I guess they will be useable as drag tyres :)

They're 18's bud you can have them for 200 + delivery :)