The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Filter Sandwich Plate

Noz

Im gonna be using 2x sandwich plates and was wondering how they fit onto the car. Hopefully this isn't a silly question.

Tried searching just cant find any info. The plates dont have any threads so was wondering how they fit.

You might struggle to get the filter on there unfortunately. I've heard reports that it JUST fits but I've not given it a go yet... will be soon enough.

You don't need anything specific for using 2 sandwich plates. Just buy 2 of them suited for the supra, they will come with the centre unions required. Just bolt them onto each other and the job is done.

I would have a look into a shorter K&N filter though, to be on the safe side (for all it costs as well.)

Yes that is true, if he's using 2 plates he must be too, no need for more than 2 outlets otherwise (oil temp/pressure) is that what your planning noz?

I think removing the stock cooler is a fairly new mod. Previously only serious modders would have done it. 2 plates has been a mod for as long as I can remember. Sometimes you need 2 oil temp & pressure ports (one for each gauge and 1 of each for the ECU input).

Could be a multitude of reasons really.

NA's dont have oil coolers. Running without boost doesnt require them. NA-T will require an oil cooler IMO so I went and got one :)

Blue plate is for turbo feed (and oil temp / pressure gauge) and grey is (obviously) for my oil cooler. There is loads of room for 2x plates but visually I can't see any way to secure the plates.

nope dont have one of them. the inside of the plate doesnt even have a thread in it.

any idea where I can get one of those, or the dimensions? I have cnc's I could just make one out of 316 stainless if i knew the dimensions.

I just need dimensions for filter, i spose if I just buy a filter and measure that I just need to replicate an adapter???

nope dont have one of them. the inside of the plate doesnt even have a thread in it.

Both the plates should have them - the "threaded" bit in the center is what holds the plate to the car.

The insides of the plates arnt threaded - the "plug" with the thread on like you can see in dig's pic has is externally threaded one end, then smoother outer / threaded inner on the other end.

The smooth end sits inside of the plate and screws down onto the external thread where your oil filter would mount to. The oil filter would then mount to the externally threaded part.

In your case you would need 2 of these adaptors, the one attaching to the externally threaded part of the other. Without either they wont be "mountable"

ok problem solved. im going to make an adapter with some cnc super skills. anyone know what thread the oil filter uses? i think its 16UN at a check measure. il make a few SS adapter im sure will be useful. im going to make a double adapter, so for 2x sandwich plates ur only need one straight adapter.

so any ideas on the oil filter thread? my gauges at work r all being used so i cant check.

edit: problem sorted, made some new 316 adapters.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
NA's dont have oil coolers. Running without boost doesnt require them. NA-T will require an oil cooler IMO so I went and got one :)

Blue plate is for turbo feed (and oil temp / pressure gauge) and grey is (obviously) for my oil cooler. There is loads of room for 2x plates but visually I can't see any way to secure the plates.

So there is enough room for 2 plates + the Stock Oil Filter?

imi

Yes. By mine is NA. I'm sure I saw that somewhere someone had used 3x plates. Bit OTT for my liking.

I currently have one plate for turbo feed, and another for aftermarket oil cooler.

I'm not sure what else is located in that area on the TT, easiest way is to have a look, I was able to judge it just by looking there was so much room.