The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So whats the next step from BPU+ without going single?

Blackie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole bpu, bpu+, bpu++++++++*^}%^#. Thing is a bit silly if you ask me. There is not much difference between them. It seems like People get an afr guage and add another +

After bpu. It would be a piggyback then hybrids but they tend to be a bit unreliable, expensive and not much gain.

Nothing is worth it once you hit around 400hp. THe maximum you are going to get is 430hp and the only real way you would tell is on a dyno or at the dragstrip (that extra 0.1 second gained). You can make the car run a little better through the range but unless you plan on going single at some point it's just not worth it IMO.

Nothing is worth it once you hit around 400hp. THe maximum you are going to get is 430hp and the only real way you would tell is on a dyno or at the dragstrip (that extra 0.1 second gained). You can make the car run a little better through the range but unless you plan on going single at some point it's just not worth it IMO.

Stick it on the dyno and see what its doing first, some bpu's fly, others not so much, if i wanted the max from stock twins i would go syvecs and Greddy/hypertune intake.

Cheers chaps :)

stay BPU until you have the funds to build a reliable single.

Did you not read the first post? ;)

Stick it on the dyno and see what its doing first, some bpu's fly, others not so much, if i wanted the max from stock twins i would go syvecs and Greddy/hypertune intake.

That's interesting, never thought of upgrading the intake, i thought this was something to do when going single.

So what kind of power gain would someone get out of a stock car (before going BPU) with a better intake and Syvecs?

I think on stock twins with cams and uprated ECU around 440-450 bhp at the fly will be the max, dyno dependant of course.

I dont think an intake would give much power, but might increase response and power delivery.

With hybrids you will likely get a better figure up to approx 480 bhp, but this is rare and dependant on numerous other additions and possibly at the expense of reliability.

That's interesting, never thought of upgrading the intake, i thought this was something to do when going single.

So what kind of power gain would someone get out of a stock car (before going BPU) with a better intake and Syvecs?

To be honest I doubt you would see anything. I think JPs point is that it's what he would do..... just to see more than anything. To maximise the potential kind of thing.

I could be wrong though :)

I think on stock twins with cams and uprated ECU around 440-450 bhp at the fly will be the max, dyno dependant of course.

I dont think an intake would give much power, but might increase response and power delivery.

With hybrids you will likely get a better figure up to approx 480 bhp, but this is rare and dependant on numerous other additions and possibly at the expense of reliability.

430hp on cams and an ECU, dyno proven.

Someone got almost 500hp out of hybrids...... with every modification that a single requires though.

Someone got almost 500hp out of hybrids...... with every modification that a single requires though.

Not quite. You'll be looking at over £1k for a decent turbo (new) and circa £1k for a manifold. (then there's other things, waste gate, down pipe etc) it soon adds up. It may not seem like much difference in spec, but the cost must be iro £3k.

Actually it was 516 bhp on the hybrids, but it caused serious concern with EGT in the 6th cylinder. The reliable power figure on that particular setup was 475bhp hence the 480bhp comment. That was on a completely built engine too.

My car ran 408bhp on a j spec pump. This was a little risky as the AFR's were a little shot on the dyno so I installed a bosch 044 pump but never got it dyno'd again. I would like to have thought this might have increased to around 415-420 bhp.

Not quite. You'll be looking at over £1k for a decent turbo (new) and circa £1k for a manifold. (then there's other things, waste gate, down pipe etc) it soon adds up. It may not seem like much difference in spec, but the cost must be iro £3k.

Have you seen the price of hybrid twins? Ok so in your opinion it's 1k for the turbo and 1k for the manifold (what turbo and manifold are you buying??? I'm getting a new 67mm dbb turbo for similar money as an example), that's buying QUALITY parts. Take into consideration what you can spend and still be reliable, cast manifold & precision non billet non dbb turbo..... still 600hp easy.

For what was spent on the 500hp hybrid twin supra you could EASILY have had a 500hp single supra. Trust me, if you do the maths on what was possible for that budget it doesn't add up.

Actually it was 516 bhp on the hybrids, but it caused serious concern with EGT in the 6th cylinder. The reliable power figure on that particular setup was 475bhp hence the 480bhp comment. That was on a completely built engine too.

My car ran 408bhp on a j spec pump. This was a little risky as the AFR's were a little shot on the dyno so I installed a bosch 044 pump but never got it dyno'd again. I would like to have thought this might have increased to around 415-420 bhp.

Flippin heck, I didn't realise the engine was built. Strange route to take but good for the figure finding I guess :)

FWIW I reckon the HP of my car will be up there with the best.... but I guess most BPU owners think that :D

Thanks for the info Matt :thumbs: I was getting carried away with this idea in my head.

Flippin heck, I didn't realise the engine was built. Strange route to take but good for the figure finding I guess :)

FWIW I reckon the HP of my car will be up there with the best.... but I guess most BPU owners think that :D

Yeah it's a shocker about the built engine. In all honesty I have no idea what effect that will have had on the figure but I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt.

I agree with you about the cost of a decent hybrid setup with ecu, cams etc.. costing close to a small basic single setup. It gets very expensive for little reliable gain after BPU as far as I am concerned with the whole BPU+++++

I'm sure your car is a BPU power monster ;-)

Yeah it's a shocker about the built engine. In all honesty I have no idea what effect that will have had on the figure but I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt.

I agree with you about the cost of a decent hybrid setup with ecu, cams etc.. costing close to a small basic single setup. It gets very expensive for little reliable gain after BPU as far as I am concerned with the whole BPU+++++

I'm sure your car is a BPU power monster ;-)

Awww shucks... thanks. If I was a betting man I would go for decidedly average but since I'm not I'll state 450 easy :D