The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it worth getting a TRD thermostat over a stock one?

Scott

As above really. I've not looked into the price of a stock one so I don't know if the TRD one will be way over the odds or not (£80).

According to the writeup the TRD maintains a valve temperature of 71 degrees allowing better flow?

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a little dig around the forum it would appear that the 71 degrees thing is actually where the thermostat opens therefor running the engine a little cooler. Noticed a few comments from CW that this would be detremental to the efficiency of the engine fuelwise. Anyone noticed any difference running them?

If it will genuinely help my car then I want to get it (even if I lose a little fuel econemy), I don't want to get it if it's just a TRD gimmick or race only kind of thing.

Cheers guys.

mine is stock and car looks to have stock rad aswell but hard use at 2 bar 900 bhp and temps hold 91c and she cruises at 90c so ime it isnt needed, if the temps are going to high my opinion is an early stat will just try and mask a bigger problem in the actaul cooling efficiency of the cooling system.

the main situation a 71c stat would be needed is on a track car imo that sits at sustained high rpms for long periods then temps will prob rise abit, it will effect fuel economy though.

Edited by scoooby slayer (see edit history)

Having a little dig around the forum it would appear that the 71 degrees thing is actually where the thermostat opens therefor running the engine a little cooler. Noticed a few comments from CW that this would be detremental to the efficiency of the engine fuelwise. Anyone noticed any difference running them?

If it will genuinely help my car then I want to get it (even if I lose a little fuel econemy), I don't want to get it if it's just a TRD gimmick or race only kind of thing.

Cheers guys.

your going single FFS fuel econemy goes right out the window here, :p

mine is stock and car looks to have stock rad aswell but hard use at 2 bar 900 bhp and temps hold 91c and she cruises at 90c so ime it isnt needed, if the temps are going to high my opinion is an early stat will just try and mask a bigger problem in the actaul cooling efficiency of the cooling system.

what about sat in traffic??

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-474193.html

From titan

This thermostat opens your radiator at 160 degrees instead of the 180 degrees your stock thermostat opens your radiator.

Although we recommend this upgrade to everyone, it is especially important if you live in a hot area, have a built motor, auto-cross, or road-race.

If you’re looking for a thermostat to help your Toyota’s cooling system reach its full potential, then look no further. The TRD Japan high performance thermostat will deliver! Most stock Toyota thermostats open between 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit to cool your engine, which is fine for normal driving conditions. But if you use your Toyota for performance driving or just want peace of mind protection from intense heat, the TRD Japan high performance thermostat opens at 160 degrees F to quickly cool your hard working engine.

the main situation a 71c stat would be needed is on a track car imo that sits at sustained high rpms for long periods then temps will prob rise abit, it will effect fuel economy though.

Yeah that's what I was thinking to be honest. I wasn't sure if there would be an upside to having the engine run cooler though?

Yeah that's what I was thinking to be honest. I wasn't sure if there would be an upside to having the engine run cooler though?

i cant really see one if the cooling system can maintain 3d above stat temp then it will maintain 91c on an 88 stat, whereas a 71c stat will sit at a constant 74c, prob 70c in winter and use more fuel for no gain imo.

highest i have seen is 92c on hks navigator, cruises at 90c caining it 91c perfect temp imo, these engine are designed to run at 90c some modern engines run even hotter.

I am nearly sure mine sits at roughly 80 ; but I have an aftermarket rad! Just once they dont overheat I think its all good.

i cant really see one if the cooling system can maintain 3d above stat temp then it will maintain 91c on an 88 stat, whereas a 71c stat will sit at a constant 74c, prob 70c in winter and use more fuel for no gain imo.

The stock stat is 82 degrees though? Would that not mean yours is running a little high?

The stock stat is 82 degrees though? Would that not mean yours is running a little high?

even better then if thats the case it will maintain 85c, i assume mine has an 88c in it as it maintains 91 c and only goes up or down 1d from that so the cooling system is doing its job perfectly, if i was on a 82c stat and it went up 10c to 92c under hard use it wouldnt sustain 92c as the cooling system wouldnt be doin its job so the temps would keep rising.

at £80 for a stat that is utterly not acceptable, would they not replace it ?

Tell me about it, i didn't even try and chase another off them, it was over 2years old at the time so i think i would have been fighting a losing battle. I don't notice any difference with the standard one in to be honest so i've no interest in buying another.

I guess an uprated thermostat has its uses, in a very hot climate or when the car is tracked a lot, but in the uk, when the car sees much more normal driving than WOT there is nothing wrong with standard.

Too cold, and would need mapping to suit, most maps are barely out of the warm up calibrations at 70 degrees. Plus it will use more fuel. I'd stay with a stock genuine Toyota stat. I run a modded stock Nissan stat on my RB26, tweaked to 80 degrees C. Works fine and in conjunction with a locked up (removed, actually) viscous keeps everything cool after 20 lap full bore track sessions on a warm day.