The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing a head unit help

Starbuck

Hi,

I'm trying to install a new head unit, so following the guides to take the facia off etc having some trouble with one connector but getting enough space to pull the old unit out.

Then I see some sparks when the side of the old unit touches the gear knob, so I'm thinking its time to work out how to disconnect the battery or take out a fuse to turn the power off while i install the new one.

Are there any threads with pictures of the fuse box or battery?

Seriously, I've never done anything like this before, and can't seem to find a thread through searches.

Any advice would be much appreciated and might avoid me getting electricuted....(wishing I paid for installation now!)

Might have to give up for the night as its getting dark and get the train to work tomorrow!

Cheers

Just pop the bonnet up , and the battery will be starring you straight in the face.. or to the right a bit. Disconnect both terminals or just the black/negative terminal by unbolting it from the battery and sliding the wire upwards .. then wedge something(non-metalic) under the wire to stop it from touching anything.

Hi,

I'm trying to install a new head unit, so following the guides to take the facia off etc having some trouble with one connector but getting enough space to pull the old unit out.

Then I see some sparks when the side of the old unit touches the gear knob, so I'm thinking its time to work out how to disconnect the battery or take out a fuse to turn the power off while i install the new one.

Are there any threads with pictures of the fuse box or battery?

Seriously, I've never done anything like this before, and can't seem to find a thread through searches.

Any advice would be much appreciated and might avoid me getting electricuted....(wishing I paid for installation now!)

Might have to give up for the night as its getting dark and get the train to work tomorrow!

Cheers

chances are if you have already made sparks you have blown a fuse anyway

FUSES_AND_CIRCUIT_BREAKERS.PDF

Removing the supra dash panels is probably one of the easiest jobs you can do, although maybe a bit daunting at 1st. If you have removed the dash with the battery connected you will have more than likely set the air bag warning light off?, if you have you can knock it off by bridging some terminals on the diagnostic port with a paper clip (can’t remember which ones off the top of my head) once you have the panels off there’s 4 screws holding the stereo cage in place, unscrew them then you will be able to get to the screws holding the standard head unit in on the side of the cage

Thanks guys, I'll have a go. Had a look at the battery last night but wasn't sure which connector to remove or which one first to avoid electrocution.

If its just the negative, I think that ones not covered and hopefully easy to remove.

Dash wasn’t too bad getting off although there is one orange connector on the left hand dash panel which I can’t seem to get off. Seems stuck on. I did manage to get this out of the way though and access the Head unit area and pull that out.

Will have to see if I can put all the cables in correctly. Then hopefully I haven’t blown anything up in the process and it will all work when put back together.

With regards to the airbag, its not going to set the airbag off is it? Just put a warning up? I can deal with that later I think as I need to get the car back up and running asap.

Disconnecting the Battery - Ok (Right size spanner in the Toyota kit)

Disconnecting the old Head Unit - No problem.

Wiring up the new head unit - Looks relatively straight foward with the ISO standard harness, however copying the old set up:

There are two aerial inputs in the existing unit, however only one on the alpine, unless I need an adapter. Will have to check this out.

The Aerial input that I can't fit into the unit has a red wire with it that was spliced to some wire..maybe a blue one. I assume this triggers the aerial motor to extend the aerial.

There was a duel connection on the old wiring...Yellow and red cables I think Battery and ACC which seem to link together somehow, but the new set of wires doesn't seem to work in exactly the same way.

Finally, the 2 din Apline units sleeve doesn't seem to fit into the existing brackets, a little small but also no points to screw it into, and it doens't look like you can use it without, so guessing there is a special bracket that I need to buy to fit this. Joy.

Hopefully I'm getting there and it will all work!