The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considering Selling..!!

Havard

Really can't make my mind up at the moment.

The car has only done 3k miles this year and that includes around 800 miles from two visits back to Jurgens and 1000 miles or so on the Dragonball. Although I love it's looks I am not really digging the Tiptronic side of it. I prefer a gear stick and to give a car a bit of welly..!!:D It's wonderful to cruise down the motorway but I like to attack a set of twisties and wonder whether I would prefer something a bit more nimble. On the practicality side, with three kids knocking about it is very rare that myself and Mrs H have the time to actively use what is pretty much a two seater car...:rolleyes:

I am trying to keep it immaculate, cleaned and waxed regularly and then kept undercover with the battery on charge for most of it's time.

It's just lately I have wondered about an RS4 or an M5 that will tick more boxes than the Supra.

Obviously the biggest thing for us is the club and I would feel a little strange being here and not having a Supe. After going on the Dragonball this year and with JAE around the corner it seems that we are only keeping the car for the odd meet every now and then. In which case it is a bloody expensive paper weight to have lying around.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9365/p1000282a.jpg

The other question is, what would she go for these days?

H.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Value (imo) £9k, it is probably one of the most immaculate out there and I reckon it would go for £9k (£8k for a quick sale).

She has a couple of marks that need polishing out but besides that I can hardly fault her. She has had an R-SR, 4 new tyres and brand new facelift lights since September. I did think that £9k was about the price.

A completely stock, immaculate E36 M3 would surely take some beating. they come in coupe, convertible and saloon flavours too.

I would say Aristo, but they're hardly nimble :D

No Aristos are not nimble...:D The M3 is one I hadn't considered. I just love the look of the RS4.

What you on about? You're loaded.... just get an RS4 as well ;)

Not that loaded mate. I need to move house in the next year or two and would like to avoid taking on much of a mortgage. There is also the subject of whether Mrs H would allow me to sell the Supe.?

H.

She has a couple of marks that need polishing out but besides that I can hardly fault her. She has had an R-SR, 4 new tyres and brand new facelift lights since September. I did think that £9k was about the price.

No Aristos are not nimble...:D The M3 is one I hadn't considered. I just love the look of the RS4.

H.

I've not driven an RS4, but i'd probably consider the M3 a little bit more of a drivers car.

There's always the RS too :cool:

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

One question: did you find the responsiveness of the auto the issue, or simply that you want to physically clutch and select gears yourself?

If it was the former, perhaps a drive in a shift-kitted auto might change your mind.

One question: did you find the responsiveness of the auto the issue, or simply that you want to physically clutch and select gears yourself?

If it was the former, perhaps a drive in a shift-kitted auto might change your mind.

The responsiveness is great compared to most autos I have driven. I just feel a little detached from the car and what is taking place underneath.

I just prefer a clutch and a stick to fully enjoy my particular type of driving. I have a country lane near me where I used to really drive the Na hard and enjoyed every minute of it, with the TT I am terrified of the kickdown and the back end stepping out. I can't concentrate long enough to use the buttons on the steering wheel as I end up forgetting that I am in manual mode.

H.

In the cheapo daily :)

Thought about that. When we had the two A4's it wasn't that big of an issue but at some point we need to use each car and the Supra whether it be manual or auto wouldn't get used.

The plan is to sell the Celica and the Supra and get another 4 door car.

H.

Obviously the biggest thing for us is the club and I would feel a little strange being here and not having a Supe.

Don't worry about that mate. There are plenty of ex supra owners that still hang around for the club, much like myself. I've just bought the mustang, but I'm not going anywhere.

This is the best club that I've had the pleasure of being a member of (and I'm a member of loads).

RS4 gets my vote then :)

M5 would get my vote Paul. I've owned an E39 V8 and driven the V10. Both awesome cars. The E39 was pretty much the same to insure as the Supra, and similar on fuel too. the V10 is just something else though.....

M5 would get my vote Paul. I've owned an E39 V8 and driven the V10. Both awesome cars. The E39 was pretty much the same to insure as the Supra, and similar on fuel too. the V10 is just something else though.....

They all have SMG boxes though don't they?

It would still have the same problem for me. I just want a gearstick...!!

The E39 models were all a 6 speed Getrag manual, all the new V10's are SMG, but that said, it's a good system IMO! :) It's worth driving a late spec 2001> E39. They are quick! I put a full stainless on mine and it sounded awesome!

The E39 models were all a 6 speed Getrag manual, all the new V10's are SMG, but that said, it's a good system IMO! :) It's worth driving a late spec 2001> E39. They are quick! I put a full stainless on mine and it sounded awesome!

I love the E60 model. It's the driveability I would worry about with SMG. I assume that you just push the gears up and down and no clutch with the SMG?

H.

The SMG works really well, its basically a manual gearbox with paddle shift and no clutch. A mate of mine had the same thing with an E46 M3. Was adamant he wanted a manual, but has ended up with an SMG and its spot on. They dont kick down like auto's do, and you can drop a couple of gears quickly when you need to. Plus on the upside, they automatically blip the throttle on downshifts. I guarantee if you drive an M5, be it an E39 or an E60, you'll want one!! One of my biggest regrets was selling the M5. Its one of the few cars that the Mrs Liked!! :) Driveability on the SMG is fine. You can leave it in full auto, or use the paddles when you want to!