The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BOV question ?

dive_popo

Hi,

I have a stock bov on my car but I guess it is tired... when I blow in it with my mouth I can hear some air go threw... I was told that nothing should pass...:rolleyes:

Is it broken ? Need replacment ?

Which bov should I buy ? If need replacement I would consider buying an aftermarket one, HKS ? Blitz ? Bailey ? Turbosmart ?

A friend has a new bailey dv26 in stock, any positive feedback on it ?

(My supra is j-spec so dont need reculating I guess... )

I've got a stock one you can have if you want :) yours sounds knackered to me bud! I have been through my fair share of BOV's, I have used a Bailey, Forge, HKS SSQV and currently have Blitz Super sound....the HKS SSQV was my favourite as I'm sure plenty of others will agree but my blitz one is a close second.

Thanks for that ;) but I'll take something aftermarket/noisy :D

so its damaged... you think I should have any other symptoms ? the car is working fine however, I'm just getting BPU and tbh I havent noticed a big power change just a little bit... so maybe it is the cause of it...

Thanks for that ;) but I'll take something aftermarket/noisy :D

so its damaged... you think I should have any other symptoms ? the car is working fine however, I'm just getting BPU and tbh I havent noticed a big power change just a little bit... so maybe it is the cause of it...

You will definately lose power if you have a leak in the intake. What is your boost guage reading?

Haha - good man!

Have you got a boost gauge? if so what is it reading?

I should point out that the HKS & Blitz BOV seemed to help in the running of my car - the others I tried just didnt seem to feel quite right (and sounded cr4p) I suspected this was linked to the vacuum hose leading off the BOV...any leaks in the hoses can cause untold little errors in the performance of the turbo's and its sooo frustrating...I went about 3 weeks changing and messing with the hoses until my turbo's worked as they should and now I love it!

I noticed the difference when I stuck my FMIC on....You will DEFINATELY notice the difference going BPU - if you havent then something is definately wrong and if your BOV is flapping in the wind (so to speak) then i'd definately start with that.

Yes I got an apexi boost gauge and when I set up my boost controler to 1,1 bar it is difficult to get more that 0.95 sometimes...

Also the sound of the stock BOV has changed, the sound is not as loud as before and sometime I cant hear it...

I had a problem when I fitted the avcr, my boost was jumping sometimes to 1.5b, when pushing hard... you think the stock bov could be dammaged by the high pressure ?

also when I took it off the car to check if its leaking, I found a little piece of plastic ring in form of the letter C inside...

Yeah, replace it. I may have a spare SSQV when I pick my car up as I think i have one in the garage that I'm going to put on the car and take the existing one off.

Paul.

I might be interested ;) it is supra specific or universal ? as I want this in stock place...

I had a problem when I fitted the avcr, my boost was jumping sometimes to 1.5b, when pushing hard... you think the stock bov could be dammaged by the high pressure ?

also when I took it off the car to check if its leaking, I found a little piece of plastic ring in form of the letter C inside...

1.5Bar! Forget the BOV, I'd be more worried about a couple of knackered turbo's.

1.5Bar! Forget the BOV, I'd be more worried about a couple of knackered turbo's.

It only jumped to 1.5 for about half of second and then dropped immediately to 1.2, I guess due to a missfire....

after that the car is still running fine without any issue after spark plug replacement, I use it every weekend (it happend 2 months ago), and noticed only a problem with the leaking stock bov, coincidence ?

I was thinking about this because this is the only time when something weird happened to the car... never had any problem, I'm always checking the oil temp and pressure, the boost pressure, the afr....

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

It only jumped to 1.5 for about half of second and then dropped immediately to 1.2, I guess due to a missfire....

after that the car is still running fine without any issue after spark plug replacement, I use it every weekend (it happend 2 months ago), and noticed only a problem with the leaking stock bov, coincidence ?

I was thinking about this because this is the only time when something weird happened to the car... never had any problem, I'm always checking the oil temp and pressure, the boost pressure, the afr....

In that case it's spiking then, which is probably a poorly set up boost controller.

In that case it's spiking then, which is probably a poorly set up boost controller.

you're right it happened when I fitted the AVC-R ;) after a week of tests I have a good config and it is running quite good at 0,95... I have spent many hours on the apexis instructions and still dont understand how should I configure it, I know how it works but its kind of difficult to me to find the compromise between pressure/duty to run safely 1.15 bar without pressure waving

I'll find a new BOV, replace it and then see whats happening, I'm on a SSQV and a Blitz on ebay, we'll see which auction I'll win...

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)