The mkiv Supra Owners Club

taxing question

fizzle

if i were to sell my car to an overseas buyer, would i have to tax it again?

it ran out last week, and the buyer will be exporting the same day as collection, it would need driving from northampton to stansted,, then onto the ferry.. it seem ridiculous to tax it for 1 days use on uk roads!

just called the dvla, they say i would need to tax it, then claim a refund on the tax.. or have the guy (member on here) trailer it..

just seems alot of ball ache for a days use on the road, personally i would risk not taxing (fine is only £60) but didnt want the guy having any probs gettin out of the country without it displayed.. Surely if he did get pulled on route and showed paperwork for purchase, they would let him off.. me no speak english officer!!

Nice to see an honest seller :-) It's very unlikely they would fine him or anything, not being resident in the UK. I think it's usually too much hastle and paperwork for them to worry about. surely he will pay for the tax and sort it himself anyway? unless your going to follow him to the boat and take the tax disc off it when he's leaving?

Paul.

It's not just a fine these days though is it? don't they have new powers to seize untaxed/uninsured/un-motd vehicles on the spot?

Yep if it's not taxed it will invalidate his insurance which he will need. And they can and do just seize the car. And you can be pretty sure the ports have anpr...

Nice to see an honest seller :-) It's very unlikely they would fine him or anything, not being resident in the UK. I think it's usually too much hastle and paperwork for them to worry about. surely he will pay for the tax and sort it himself anyway? unless your going to follow him to the boat and take the tax disc off it when he's leaving?

Paul.

tbh thats what i thought would happen, more hassle than it's worth for the police.. but if there was a chance the car would be seized, i would rather tax it than have some poor guy sat at customs with no car and 3K lighter.. He could post me back the tax when he gets home or from the port before he goes i guess, so i can get partial refund !!

this is what id do: buy tax, scan the disc, print it and stick it on the car for the buyer to drive to the port. the car will be taxed on the system so wouldn't set off any anpr systems and soon as its off UK land, get a refund.

less hassle for you and the buyer.

probably not legal, but A LOT less headache.