The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fluid leak from inside edge of rear wheel

stevie_b

On my NA, I've spotted a fluid leak at or very near the rear driver's-side wheel. There's enough fluid to form a considerable damp spot on the ground over a couple of weeks of the car being stationary. I'm guessing this will be brake fluid, will it? I haven't had a chance to take the wheel off yet. I can't see it being hydraulic fluid from the shock absorber; it doesn't look like it's coming from high enough (see photo). It's just the horizontal bar thing that seems to be damp with fluid.

Any ideas what it could be? Is this a common problem? I've searched for it, but couldn't find any examples like this.

supra_leak2.jpg

In my photo, is the brake pipe the pale looped pipe near the top of the photo? Access is a bit tricky where I have the car parked, but I'll take another look and try to be more specific about the source of it. It looks like the fluid is weeping from the right-hand join of the horizontal bar thing. (If anyone can let me know the proper names of these components that I'm talking about, that might help too! :))

The horizontal bar thing is the lower suspension arm, this fits into the hub using a ball joint.

It's almost definetly brake fluid as the arm is directly under the brake line, get the wheel off and have a good look.

Check out the WSM, suspension and axle section as theres nice diagrams in there showing all the bits you need to see

• 2 weeks later...