The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4WD supra, has anyone done it?

mattysupra

I have been thinking, basically i went on to buy a R34 GTR due to the fact that i was facing traction issues with my supra. Yes if you could get grip the Supra was a weapon on the road but a little rain and the supra was trying to kill me at ever corner. But now i have a R34 GTR there is no way the supra will touch it down the country lanes and i can use full throttle in the wet without issue. O and my R34 is making 590bhp @ the 4 wheels!

Now i must say that i believe the Supra engine is a better engine than the skylines RB26, i also think teh supra is a better looking car all tho more common. . This points to the ultimate road car for me would be my supra running GTR running gear. or should i say a Supra powering all 4 wheels.

So i get thinking! I have been measuring up both cars. I think that with a bit of chopping and using a skyline tunnel i can get the R34 GTR gearbox to fit along with transfer box. I also think i can machine the Rb26 sump to fit the 2JZ. Along with using the skyline sub frame and front suspension and steering rack, hubs etc i think i can make the supra 4wd!

Has anyone done this before? Is there a better donor car to use?

Or get the 4WD aristo...and shove the running gear into the Sup...swap the V8 for the 2JZ and crack on!

Does the 4wd gear just drop in or do you have to modify? i presume you have to modify or every one would be doing this ?

I think im set on using the skyline running gear as i believe it is the best 4wd running gear out there and is proven in the skylines.

However if some one can make my job easier by saying xxx will fit etc it will make my day. I don't think i will hear that tho!

Yes, been done. In Russia I think? Just type AWD or 4WD Supra into youtube and you will see it.

Not heard or seen much of it since though.

Yes mate, i have found this -

But they are not using a 2JZ engine from what i can see in the pics.

Yeah, the engine isn't the hard bit though. As long as you can mate the engine to the box you shouldn't have too many problems on that front.

I think thats the easy bit mate !

From what i can see i think i can do this, but not sure what to do with the exhaust!

Don't worry about the exhaust, that can be totally made to suit. Side exit if need be ;)

Yes mate, but im woried about fitting silencers in. After all i need the car to meet DB limits. Im thinking of raising the floor drivers side to allow for clearence of teh exhaust and get a couple of silencers in. Now if i use bucket seats this is not a issue as i will simple mount them lower. But if i decide on keeping stock trim look then teh seats will sit to high.

I think the car is going to have to be turned into a proper track animal.

Yes mate, but im woried about fitting silencers in. After all i need the car to meet DB limits. Im thinking of raising the floor drivers side to allow for clearence of teh exhaust and get a couple of silencers in. Now if i use bucket seats this is not a issue as i will simple mount them lower. But if i decide on keeping stock trim look then teh seats will sit to high.

I think the car is going to have to be turned into a proper track animal.

I might be making this up but I think the Russian one might have had a different floorpan.