The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible error 42 problem, your help is needed

Lee_e

Hey guys and girls

I recently had my speedo cluster,centre console facia, and gear lever surround all off as it was going to Heckler for a make-over.

When i fitted it back, double checked the connections etc.. my speedo doesnt work and the odo metre isnt going up.. I have checked every connection but cant see a loose or dodgey wire.

My Overdrive light is flashing every 2 seconds or so after i drive the car for 3 minutes. Ive done some search and i think it might be an error 42, The other thing that was worrying me was the fact that when i start her up shes fine but as soon as that flashing starts when i pull up to a junction or a set of lights, The car almost feels as though it wants cut out, revs dropping very low, and it doesnt do this when i first start the car from warm.

Im thinking this is all related to the error 42 ? Would the error code be affected by the fact my Overdrive button broke the other night when i was playing around with it :rolleyes: wires came out the back of the button and i cant get them back in lol ( yes i am a spoon)

Any help would be massively appreciated

Cheers guys

Cheers fellas, I will try and find a O/D button from someone and go from there, But why would it affect my idle ? its fine until the light starts flashing.. then it gets a bit iffy, power delivery seems fine etc.. just rough idle, no speedo and odo .. was fine before i took the dash out and refitted it.. i will double check all connections to everywhere and see what happens.

Have you actually ran a diagnostic though and got code 42? (no1 speed sensor fault), using search won't help you get the error code.

It's worth doing this. It'll almost certainly give you code 42 with the symptoms you describe, but there might be other codes logged as well.

I'm not sure how the overdrive button fits into the picture as my car doesn't have one, but I too would get that fixed first unless I knew for sure it wouldn't affect things. I don't think it would cause the speedo not to work though.

I reckon the speed input wire to your speedo isn't attached properly, so concentrate on that. Ignore the odo: that's not working because the speedo's not working.

Code 42 shouldn't have any effect in the engine idle. That's almost certainly a different issue. The ECU takes a few minutes to re-learn the idle points when it's been unplugged, but it should have got them sorted out after a short run when the car is up to temperature. ICV needs cleaning maybe?

It's worth doing this. It'll almost certainly give you code 42 with the symptoms you describe, but there might be other codes logged as well.

I'm not sure how the overdrive button fits into the picture as my car doesn't have one, but I too would get that fixed first unless I knew for sure it wouldn't affect things. I don't think it would cause the speedo not to work though.

I reckon the speed input wire to your speedo isn't attached properly, so concentrate on that. Ignore the odo: that's not working because the speedo's not working.

Code 42 shouldn't have any effect in the engine idle. That's almost certainly a different issue. The ECU takes a few minutes to re-learn the idle points when it's been unplugged, but it should have got them sorted out after a short run when the car is up to temperature. ICV needs cleaning maybe?

Cheers dude , Will get the od button fixed first, then go from there.. going to pull the dash out again on my break today, Which wire/colour of wire should i be looking at to make sure its properly secured and connected correctly ?

It was sat on my drive for only a week and its my daily drive, never had any problem with idle untill now, the idle is fine untill i drive it a bit then when the O/D flashing starts, the idle gets a bit low on stopping.

Appreciate all the help guys

Ok guys, bit of an update, Worked on the car all afternoon, done a error code check and came up with the error 42, What i thought it was..

Idle is fine now after some more driving, its seemed to work itself out.

Speedo and odo not working still, still have flashing o/d light and engine light on, I have disconnected my Speed converter and top speed limiter from the dial cluster and tried it without it connected and still no speedo.

Now to slove this problem am i right in saying i have to cut the pink wire going to the rear connector on the speedo side of the cluster, splice it into to the blue with red stripe wire and leave the blue and red wire plugged in or cut that and connect the 2 together ?

Cheers guys

Sounds like the ECU just needed to re-learn the idle speeds after being unplugged.

I think the wire you need to focus on is blue with a red stripe going into the speedo's multiplug (plug C13 according to Thor's wiring diagram). This wire goes into pin 5.

When your speed converter was wired up, this blue/red wire will probably have been cut and re-routed into the input of the converter. You'd need to undo this cut in order to try and get the speedo working again.

See here: ignore all the odo, cruise control etc etc and just look at the speedo bit:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/dsc_speedo_mph.jpg

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Cheers stevie, had another go at it again today .. no luck.. been down to AFR and they going to look at it on wednesday for me.

The red and blue wire has another wire connected to it near the multiplug end.. its spliced into it.. connection is good as it has been done with a little splicer box thingy... dont know what its called.

If you look at my pics down below you can see theres been a fair amount of bodging gone on behind the cluster.. the previous owner has gone mad with the solder and instead of doing it properly hes done a quick job by the looks of it. What ya think stevie..

When you look at the right hand side of the cluster.. you can see one of the connections has been purposley cut .. not done by mistake.. its a straight edge cut. i took a larger pic of this area.

My idle is now rough again and doesnt like stopping at all.. Would this be affected by the speedo and odo not working.. and also the fact my O/D button is disconnected ?

Couldnt find where the "other wire" coming into the red and blue wire went.. just disappeared down into a wire loom and that went towards the gear lever.

What i dont understand is .. the car was fine the day i took it apart and sent it to heckler.. get it back and its all gone tits up.. ( Not implying Heckler has done something wrong/broken it)

I also disconnected the PCB's which heckler put in the cluster as part of the conversion he did for me.. and still nothing..

Pics..

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Well, it's not the neatest soldering work but I've probably seen worse. It's *just* possible the rough idle might be linked to the code 42: if the ECU is trying to re-learn idle engine speeds, not having a clear idea of how fast the is travelling might confuse it. Seems a long shot though, I'd be surprised.

I don't think there's much else you can do unless you can find the other end of that red/blue wire. You'd need to do that to revert the wiring to stock. The other end is probably going into your speed converter isn't it?

The Horsham boys will have some ideas on Wednesday. Difficult to be sure without seeing it.

I hope they can solve the problem, otherwise .. i wont be a happy bunny.

I reset the ecu yesterday and took it for a drive and all was well for the first 5 minute drive. stopped car , turned engine off. then later i drove home and the idle gets rough only when the o/d light starts flashing, and that happens 3 minutes into the journey, so some how i think they are linked.

God i hate wiring and electrical faults !!

cheers stevie

The code 42 condition (O/D light, etc) only kicks in when the coolant is up to a certain temperature, and over a certain speed. That explains why you get a delay before the o/d light flashes. It also sounds like they are linked as you say: fix the code 42 and you may well fix the idle issue.

mm... Does sound interesting.. Il pass it over the the afr geniuses and let them work their magic.. then if they fix it.. i will post up what was wrong for future reference to others.

Your help is greatly appreciated stevie.

Ok so i just cleaned out my ICV, was pretty grimey and black inside.. made it all shiney and clean.. drove it for 10 minutes on and off boost, slow and fast etc error lights came on and flashed as per usual .. idle seems fine now.. will drive it again later and see where it gets me .. but im pretty sure the idle issue is fixed now :)