The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crashed the supra tonight!front end!

Guest G24bro

Guest G24bro

some kind sole decided to slam his brakes on at 65 iish on the way home tonight causeing a 4 car pile up (me being the last car)then drove off!anyone know how i can replace the front crossmember where bonnet catches are?????

They're available from Toyota, about £90. They're weld-in.

If that bit is pushed back you realy should check the chassis legs have not been touched, if they have it could become very costly There are other sections on the front that will likely be damaged too. Best to take the bumper off and see whats what

Guest G24bro

o right cheers hopefully legs ok not checked yet,the rear of his car ended up on top of the front of the bonnet so fingers crossed??????

Guest G24bro

yea gutted smashed up me fibre glass bonnet that has only been on a month,rad gone as well!bomex bumper popped out ok when i took it off tho! lol cry lol!!

It's only been since you have had your new avatar :(

Which one? I am on a weekly swap at the moment. I think the BBC test card with the penis in it will be making a comeback.

Anyhow, these accidents. Please stop it now..!!

H.

Which one? I am on a weekly swap at the moment. I think the BBC test card with the penis in it will be making a comeback.

Anyhow, these accidents. Please stop it now..!!

H.

I liked that one :) this one looks like a suprastar3000 special :)

Any how hope all is repairable and not to expensive :(

Not if the ABS is working correctly ;)

I can stand on my brakes as hard as you like in a straight line and the car just stops with

not a hint of it locking a wheel

Leaving enough space between you and the car infront and looking beyond the car infront is the key

Good luck with getting it fixed though and hope it doesn't hurt your wallet too much

2nd that dunk the abs on mine is great , You can get second hand parts easy just pop a thread in the wanted section for the parts you need ,thats what i did a few months back when i spun mine and damaged the front , i got all the parts sorted in less than 24 hours with help from members of the forum , and the car was back on the road 2 weeks later . Rich.

Not if the ABS is working correctly ;)

I can stand on my brakes as hard as you like in a straight line and the car just stops with

not a hint of it locking a wheel

Leaving enough space between you and the car infront and looking beyond the car infront is the key

Good luck with getting it fixed though and hope it doesn't hurt your wallet too much

ABS only functions when the wheels lock up. Otherwise it would be pointless, so yes even with ABS you should be able to lock your wheels. The ABS will then take care of the on/off shake of it all.

If your brakes aren't strong enough to lock up the wheels then it's time to look at upgrading them.

Glad you're ok and remember to keep your distance too :)

I suspect it was an old trout who did this, rather than some kind sole. But I mustn't go on about this.

Probably some pikey without insurance.

I best go order some Brembo's or AP's then :) perhaps it has something to do with

good tyres and a much bigger footprint that lets my car pull up the way it does.

It never fails to impress me with how well it stops in the dry so theres not much wrong with the

brakes, there a complete new uk set up front and rear with braided lines and i doubt the fluid and calipers have done much over 5000 miles.

I'll have to do a test next time im out in it and see exactly what happens from some

varying speeds :D

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I best go order some Brembo's or AP's then :) perhaps it has something to do with

good tyres and a much bigger footprint that lets my car pull up the way it does.

It never fails to impress me with how well it stops in the dry so theres not much wrong with the

brakes, there a complete new uk set up front and rear with braided lines and i doubt the fluid and calipers have done much over 5000 miles.

I'll have to do a test next time im out in it and see exactly what happens from some

varying speeds :D

Yup, definitely upgrade time. When you take the traction past the limits of the brakes it's time to upgrade them.

Sometimes this is due to the brakes being less effective but I'm sure your brakes are newly refurbed etc so it's most likely down to more grip.

I'm running 19s with 265s on the rear and 235s on the front. I can lock up enough to bring in the ABS but I need to brake silly hard.

I refurbed the original calipers that came with the car and sold them as i was going to get AP's or something similar

but then changed my mind and bought brand new from Toyota so its all new UK brakes and the car stops very well.

Mine are 265 fronts and 295 rears with Contisports on the front and Bridgestone RE050's on the rear

I refurbed the original calipers that came with the car and sold them as i was going to get AP's or something similar

but then changed my mind and bought brand new from Toyota so its all new UK brakes and the car stops very well.

Mine are 265 fronts and 295 rears with Contisports on the front and Bridgestone RE050's on the rear

I guess it depends on your driving style whether you would want to go to the expense of upgrading them. The tyres you have will have a very positive influence on traction in the dry hence why your brakes are being surpassed by your grip.

At least you have the option of better stopping.