The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi

Scarface GTti

Just a quick howdy. Just ploughed every penny the bank would give me to buy my dream car. Been searching for a UK TT6 for ages, but to no avail. So i`ve bought Bigmoistyturbo`s car. Black J-Spec 94 TT6. Wanted a car that i could just drive but its lasted about 6 days and i`m straight into problems. Great. Look out for my soon to be added posts that no doubt you`ll have answered many times over. Don`t worry i`ll use the search function as much as i can. Anyway hiya.

He was moving nearer to his job as it was a 45-50 mile commute each way. As he still lived at home he needed the deposit to get his own place in Lincoln. The car is generally good its just got niggling faults. It has a fuelling problem and has developed a cracking noise from the steering i think. Also when you hold the revs in third low down and then floor it, it coughs and jumps about and just stutters it way through the boost. Its off the road for a month now until i can afford the insurance although if i can sort the problems i might get some temporary insurance and take it to Trax as i`m off there with the GTti owners club.

I don't know what mods are on the car but it sounds like it's been modified. The stuttering could be the plugs, its pretty easy to check what ones you have. If he was running higher boost pressures you should check that you are running hotter than standard plugs (most people use the Denso's).

The cracking noise could be from the suspension, thats worth checking as well. I have that with one of my TEIN shocks.

He bought the car from someone on this board (Miguel, Dude). it would be worth taking the car back to them to see if they can sort the problems for you as they know the car.

:)

Originally posted by Steve W2

If he was running higher boost pressures you should check that you are running hotter than standard plugs (most people use the Denso's).

Wrong way about Steve.... increased boost requires colder plugs. Denso's are expensive... NGK Coppers will do the same job for around £8 a set of 6 from most motor factors. One or two grades colder than stock dependant on boost level.

Welcome to the club Scarface :)

Brian.

Originally posted by ThunDeR

Wrong way about Steve.... increased boost requires colder plugs. Denso's are expensive... NGK Coppers will do the same job for around £8 a set of 6 from most motor factors. One or two grades colder than stock dependant on boost level.

Welcome to the club Scarface :)

Brian.

DOH!!! I thought that as the engine runs hotter you need plugs that are graded to a higher temperature?:conf:

Originally posted by Steve W2

DOH!!! I thought that as the engine runs hotter you need plugs that are graded to a higher temperature?:conf:

No, the reason it's colder is to stop the spark plug igniting the mixture in the cylinder before it's fired by the ignition, due to higher combustion temperatures. IE it takes more heat for it to fire when it shouldn't hence colder.

HTH,

Brian.