The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel consumption - reference

JohnK

It gets asked now and then and only vague answers are usually posted, so below are some real world figures I obtaind from my recent trip across northern Europe.

This is all using 98 octane fuel, 2 people and back seat and boot full of luggage. No more than 1bar boost. all outside Temps were 25c+.

Ammount of fuel guaged by filling to the top of the tank each time. Litres devide by 4.546 to get UK gallons.

Southampton to Harwhich - average speed ~80mph air conoff. No booting it!

173 miles - 5.94 gallons = 29.12 MPG

Cuxhaven to nr. ferryport puttgarden - average speed ~95, some high speed runs and hard acceleration. Intermitant aircon.

183 miles - 8.06 gallons = 22.70 MPG

Puttgarden to Halmstad + ~40miles local driving - average speed ~65, intermitant air con.

236 miles - 10.05gallons = 23.48 MPG

Halmstad to Malmo + some local driving - average speed ~65, air con on frequently.

180 miles - 6.75 gallons = 26.66 MPG

Malmo to Borgholm - average speed ~65, one quick 140mph sprint to overtake trucks. aircon on frequently.

183 miles - 7.36 gallons = 24.86 MPG

Borgholm to Stockholm - average speed ~65 some hard driving while being lost on motorways near Stockholm, air con on intermitantly.

293 miles - 10.84 gallons = 27.03 MPG

Stockholm to Malmo - average speed ~65, aircon on frequently.

361 Miles - 13.96 gallons = 25.86 MPG

Malmo to south of cuxhaven average speed in DK ~65 in germany ~110, often over 140, few top end runs. lots of hard acceleration. Air con constantly on.

270 Miles - 12.35 gallons = 21.86 MPG

The last figure is a little misleading as only 125 miles of it were with the aircon on and driving hard in germany.

In conclusion, Driving on a motorway with an average speed of ~60 makes little difference to MPG than driving at ~80. Local driving is very bad for MPG and lastly air con makes quite a large difference to MPG.

Also after the 361 mile stage, the guage was still showing 1/4 tank left.

The number of times I have seen speedtraps in the middle of nowhere and I was also lasered a fair few times, I'll think ill stick to the speed limits in the scandinavian countrys!

Have you seen the size of the fines!!

Still its nice to be able to use the cruise control for over 30mins a time.

• 11 months later...

I have some more MPG figures from my recent trip to the European Supra meet.

The car now has a BL T61 single turbo on it (budget kit).

The places where I refueled arent exact as I cant remember exactly but the figures are 100% correct.

Home to the tunnel

157 miles - 6.6 gallons = 23.78 MPG

Tunnel to German Border

212 miles - 10.13 gallons = 20.92 MPG

German Border to Hotel in Munster

210 miles - 10.23 gallons = 20.52 MPG

After this point I forget where we refuled but here are the figures.

239 miles - 12.69 gallons = 18.83 MPG

241 miles - 13.5 gallons = 17.85 MPG

247 miles - 12.27 gallons = 20.13 MPG

Why J-Spec single kit? Is it the manifold thats different? I mean Boostlogic are a US company that have the same spec as the UK cars. :confused:

Aron and I got well over 400 miles to a tank when we were coming back through Germany etc, but we are manuals, not thirsty autos ;)

Guest Terry S
Why J-Spec single kit? Is it the manifold thats different? I mean Boostlogic are a US company that have the same spec as the UK cars. :confused:

Aron and I got well over 400 miles to a tank when we were coming back through Germany etc, but we are manuals, not thirsty autos ;)

Because these kits are only made for Vortex, and for JDM cars.

I've managed 27mpg on long cruises at 80-90mph. A tubular manifold, big turbo housing, no cats and 3" straight through exhaust really does wonders for the VE of the engine :sly: Shame all those savings are wiped out as soon as you use the darn turbo :D

-Ian