The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new member in west wales

hagar

i'm not actually a mk4 owner but a mk3 one (my 4th). i have been blasting and seamwelding the body and am about to fit a cage but i am a bit indicisive about what to do with the engine.

the car has a 1jz gte R engine in it which is similar to the 2jz'd that you folks use and that's why i came here for advice. the R type turbos on my car have ceramic wheels and not the usual steel ones, whilst giving virtually no lag they will delaminate at the mearest hint of more boost than toyota want so they will have to go.

twin hybrids give lots of power at 5k revs but nothing low down which is a worry. i wondered would it be possible to change my turbo setup from parrallel to sequential and perhaps have a larger 2nd turbo? no one knows much about this on the mk3 site as it is all 7m's and blown head gaskets over there. an easier thought was perhaps a single variable jet turbo to help eliminate the lag with the aid of a syvecs g6 ecu and it's toys.

i was spoilt by having no lag before but limited by the turbos on the car and i want it to have no lag again but with more power available. i plan on getting a 3.0 vvti engine and six speed box for this car and creating a monster/mongrel but for now i just want it running again. i know turbo lag is the time in which the other person still thinks they have a chance but frankly i don't even want to give them that!

Welcome!

You mention sequential, but do you mean the sequential system from a MKIV to go on your MKIII? I think that you would be better of just slipping in a 2JZ GTE in rather than try and fit the sequential system to the engine you have!

Also get some pictures up of your pride and joy :)

why not, the 1jz is virtually the same as the 2jz give or take 500 cc's. i wasn't nessesary thinking of the setup off a mk4 but duplicating it with perhaps a bigger second turbo.

have no piccys at the moment but will get a camera sorted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

cut off the rear turbo mount and extended it by one inch and now it's much easier to get the pipework in. wish i'd done this a few days ago now. the exhaust from the front turbo now has room and there is much more room to wrap the pipes and hotsides now.

Edited by hagar
the space monkeys made me do it! (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...