The mkiv Supra Owners Club

reconditioning shocks appearance Advice

Dim Sum

I was wondering if these steps are correct if i was to reconditioning shocks appearance.

- Shot blast them to rid of paint and etc

- Get them sprayed and not use power coating, because the oil in the shocks.

Is it just has simply as that?

I'm not sure if anyone will commit themselves to saying it's okay to powder coat them. :blink:

I did think about doing mine, I have a diy powder coating kit which is producing good results but I'm not going to risk coating them.

I'm going to blast them (I've in the process of building my own sand blast cabinet) to remove the rust and rub down any imperfections and use a rust converter liquid on the rust, prime them and paint them with 2 pack yellow gloss (single stage -not a basecoat and lacquer like you would do most cars).

I'm also going to do the wishbones and powder coat small brackets etc.

If you get high pressure blast media on the chromed shafts they are scrap, assuming you are using something like glass or silica beads. If they are adjustable and it gets in the adjuster screw it may cause trouble. If it gets behind the shaft seal they are scrap. By the time you have messed about with rusty old units it won't be that dearer buying some new Bilsteins ;) They can't be powder coated whilst assembled, the bushes and seals won't like it at all, and more sensationally, they could explode.

Like you Merckx just wanted to get rid of any rust and imperfections really. I guess if taken the spring, top mount apart and being careful about them shot blasting them could be a idea to remove imperfections and spray them to get the colour of my choice..........

Chris, i think these one might be one you sold to a member because the Bilsteins shocks i have is brought from a member and says made in Germany with a sliver sticker.

Whats the point? Nobody can see them anyway?

If you're fitting rusty parts to the car they'll just get worse which isn't good if you have no intention of selling the car, I'm having to replace my stock reas suspension shocks because the rust is that bad there is a possibility of them leaking.

I'm taking the opportunity of painting all the suspension parts and fitting nuts/bolts that won't rust, infact every part I'm fitting anywhere on the car will be treated to last which the car manufacturers don't do.

I'll see the benefit when a part wears out and I won't have a problem taking them apart, I don't want the car to deteriorate like every other car on the road. :)

If you're fitting rusty parts to the car they'll just get worse which isn't good if you have no intention of selling the car, I'm having to replace my stock reas suspension shocks because the rust is that bad there is a possibility of them leaking.

I'm taking the opportunity of painting all the suspension parts and fitting nuts/bolts that won't rust, infact every part I'm fitting anywhere on the car will be treated to last which the car manufacturers don't do.

I'll see the benefit when a part wears out and I won't have a problem taking them apart, I don't want the car to deteriorate like every other car on the road. :)

Agree with you completely :)

Here a few images of what's done so far, the spring colour of choice won't be everyone's cup of tea. Its lilac, planning on having white shocks then re sticker them with Toyota Bilsteins

Here is before

Then sand blasted

imageimage

Edited by Dim Sum (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Okay its been a while but its all done now. The shocks been sprayed 040 white, its a little hard to see the white in the shade but it is white.

imageimage

If anyone could also tell me if i got them set up correctly would be great, i forgot which ones front and back. But currently i have the

rear shocks which assume is the one with the fork looking end and the the spring which be the long thin ones and the front shocks are the one with the round ends, fitting with the short fatter springs.

One last one, do i need to put back the rubber sleeves on?

The springs in the photos are on the right dampers. You do need the sleeves, not for the bellows part so much as the spring top seat, without that the car will ride lower and there will be noise. The dampers with the stirrup bottom mounts are the rear dampers.

Thanks for the information. Before i fit them and if you don't mind i post again on this thread to ask yourself if its all good :)

Lilac and white, very nice, you into flower arranging or something? ;)

Lols no and I'm not into flower arranging. I wanted the HKS purple on the spring but that colour is so hard to get and mix and after a few try a give up. So I'm sticking with lilac.

I wanted the shocks to be white regardless.

But other than the colours scheme is a bit girly, is she shocks right? :)