The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler refurbishment?

Lurch

Hello, Had a look at my intercooler and the fins looks quite corroded! and I dont think its helping the temperature my car gets. I was wondering is there such a place that will refurbish intercoolers? Its quite a large front mount and seems a shame to waste it, its about 2.5 - 3inches thick and quite tall.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

Dont Serck Marston do intercooler re cores ?

Im sure i read a thread on this on here, possibly started by Chris Wilson

Would be very usefull if we can find someone in the UK to do this seeing as a lot of us have big frontmounts, or

even for the Side mounts.

Dont Serck Marston do intercooler re cores ?

Im sure i read a thread on this on here, possibly started by Chris Wilson

Would be very usefull if we can find someone in the UK to do this seeing as a lot of us have big frontmounts, or

even for the Side mounts.

Would be good if they could re core a stock SMIC for a fair price.

Any idea how much it cost(s)?

Stock side mounts have plastic end tanks and a bespoke core thickness, which no one offers a replacement for. Re coring a cast alloy tanked I/C is possible, but very costly. There's a lot of working cutting out the old care, cleaning a prepping the tanks, and prepping a new core to fit, then welding and pressure testing. Given that UK craftsmen won't work for a bowl of rice nowadays this puts the cost of a re core well above a Taiwanese made new I/C. The only strong reason to re-core is if you have an I/C with particularly nice cast end tanks and a ratty or lousy core. Then you can re core with a proper race spec core. Expect to pay well over £2.5K for something really good though.

Do you know what intercooler brand/model you currently have fitted, is there any branding on it? The core is one of the most expensive parts of the intercooler, buying a new core, getting the old one removed and the new one welded would probably only be worth doing if it is a good quality branded FMIC.

And i thought the HKS intercoolers were expensive to begin with, oh well looks like its going to be

a new cooler when required then

The HKS Type R intercooler is one of the most expensive kits available for the Supra, but it is one of the few FMIC's that use cast end tanks. I've seen most of the Japanese branded kits for the Supra and the HKS looks the best quality/design.

HKS FMIC Install Pics

£2.5 K is for something like a Secan or Marston motorsport core, possibly more for a Secan, they are considered the best of the best. If you are serious about big power £2.5 K is not THAT dear for low intake air temps and greater efficiency from V bar of boost. People happily spend more than that on a set of wheels that weigh a ton and don't fit properly, and post photos of their poor purchase with pride ;) You would find it hard to re-core a cheap I/C with thin fabricated tanks. These Ebay I/C's are so cheap 9and usually so rubbish...) that just buying a new one once they get ratty is cheapest by far. Only worth re-coring if you want something bespoke. I am getting a cast end tanked Skyline I/C re-cored with a bar and plate core, to a custom width, things like that make financial sense, as at least you don't have to pay for new end tanks to be fabricated, and this one has tanks with good flow design. I picked this up for £60, it would cost a LOT more to make end tanks to a similar pattern:

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Hi, is your I/C completely useless....have you tried to flush out bugs and road crap with small toothbrush, I did mine and although it took ages the whole unit looks much better when elbow grease, wire wool and auto-sol have been applied........just a thought................

image image

I think it's had it to be honest. I'll have to try and get another one the same style and size to match up with the pipes if possible.

EDIT:

My intercooler looks like this one...

intercooler-kit.jpg

IF it is this one they're a hell of a lot of money, so if I can get mine refurbed at a fair price I should get it done really?

Edited by Lurch (see edit history)