The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hid kit ?

Bryson

Just a warning they are supposed to be going ileagal next year so make sure there cheap because you may loose them next MOT! as of next year i believe they said that if the car does not have self leveling lights then it can't have them fitted. I've try'd to look into them and was told not to bother but it's just what i've been told by an MOT inspector it could be wrong.

Just a warning they are supposed to be going ileagal next year so make sure there cheap because you may loose them next MOT! as of next year i believe they said that if the car does not have self leveling lights then it can't have them fitted. I've try'd to look into them and was told not to bother but it's just what i've been told by an MOT inspector it could be wrong.

i asked my MOT tester this question last week and he said that he hasnt heard about them being "ilegal"

where did you hear that ?

I had an MOT inspector check my car because it's near MOT time and wanted to know if it was just emmisions that it would fail on ( there about 8x the legal limit as my 93 RZ is supposed to have a cat) i asked about all the debate on HID kits as there is so much conflicting info going around. His info was that they made a mistake on some brake requirements for this year so he had to pass some awfull brakes (corrosion requirements)and that it will be sorted next revision of the test along with the affore mentioned HID converted cars. I really want some but he stated that it was already in the pipes to be made ilegal on cars with no self leveling lights. As i said it's just an MOT inspectors word but he only done his refresher course 2 months ago so i believed that his info was up to date.

My appologies for my spelling i try but am dislexic so please excuse the spelling of a ten year old.

Gary Crouch

I think they are illegal as retrofit anyway, always have been, even with a headlight with projector beam design

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Thats and olde episode :)

Here in Denmark they have been illigal for many years due to the brightness of the beam and thereby the blinding effect if the hedlight isn't fixed properly or grime/dust on the light spread the beam. Therefore you are only allowed to use HIDs if you have self levelling lights with washers.