The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost to go single?

Bryson

All depends on how much power you want but to start have a look at this..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?236548-Garage-Whifbitz-Twin-Wastegate-Turbo-kit

+ electrics (ECU and larger injectors uprated fuel pump, various gauges and sensors)

All in all best part of £7k if you install yourself...

IF you want silly power, double the above figure add £2k and then you have an idea.

Alot bud, just check out all the build threads in the project section. If you can manage the work yourself the cost is far more saving, other than that its all the little bits that add up. most folks say about 10k, but you could go the 2nd hand route for parts, or buy new so many ways of doing it. ???

You need a turbo kit (around 3k), an ECU (Around £500), Injectors (£500), Clutch (£400), mapping(£300) and fitting(1k). Factor in another £1k for fluids, servicing items and for the bits and bobs that get forgotten about.

That is the bare minimum IMO and there is no telling how reliable the car will be given that none of the engine will have been checked over and none of the wear and tear parts have been replaced. If you do the work yourself you will save the money on the fitting. The sky is the limit as far as the parts etc go, I have plucked the figures from my head given what I would consider to be the bare minimum of quality.

Some things you will want to think about..

Compression Test

Leakdown Test

FMIC

BOV

Oil Pump

Front main seal

Rear main seal

Cam Seals

Cams

Valve Stem Seals

Gasket Kit

Exhaust

Wheels

Tyres

Brakes

There will be loads I've missed. You can see where the figure of £10k comes from though.

Was wondering roughly how much it would cost to go for a single turbo like a T61 for my bpu 6spd supra and what parts are actually required?

If I was doing a 61mm turbo conversion on a stock 2JZGTE 6spd and wanted it to be reliable and last a good many years this would be the list.

Engine removed, stripped, cleaned, tolerances checked, all new bearing, seals, rebore, new pistons/rings, oil pump, water pump, harmonic balancer, v-belt, cam belt, belt tensioners, head bolts, etc. - Basically everything to refurbish the engine and ancillaries to 'as new condition' using a mix of genuine OEM Toyota and aftermarket parts.

New engine/gearbox mounts.

Turbo Kit - Good quality branded kit with DBB turbo.

Turbo Blanket, exhaust wrap, other heat reflective material, miscellaneous fittings.

Cams - Optional, but worth it to get the best out of the setup.

Cam Pulleys - As above

Exhaust

BOV + weld on flange

FMIC - good quality 3 row branded one.

Oil Cooler + Oil (at least a couple of refills for run in and dyno sessions) + Oil filter (x2)

Clutch

Fuel Filter

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Pump

Gauges - AFR, Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp.

Gauge Pod

RLTC or ECU with built in traction control

Standalone ECU, Sensors, Harnesses, Mapping.

Spark Plugs - my preference would be a set of Iridiums.

New Coil Packs, coil pack connectors - would be budgeted for.

New Radiator - a worn rad often shows up as a weak link after a conversion, so would be budgeted for.

LSD, Diff mounts - optional, but definitely worth fitting to get the power down.

Labour

Miscellaneous fabrication work (usually required if using a US turbo kit designed for a LHD Supra).

Probably some things I've forgotten but that'll give you some idea.

All depends on how involved you get, i.e. built engine etc

I have done a reasonably "standard" conversion consisting of turbo kit, ecu, fuel system (pumps lines, injectors, fpr), mapping, gauges for under 5k fitted by someone else

Bearing in mind I already had cams, clutch, brakes

All depends on how involved you get, i.e. built engine etc

I have done a reasonably "standard" conversion consisting of turbo kit, ecu, fuel system (pumps lines, injectors, fpr), mapping, gauges for under 5k fitted by someone else

Bearing in mind I already had cams, clutch, brakes

Is that with brand new kit? Whats the spec? I honestly can't see that being done right for that money.

£5k can be done relatively easily, but you're likely looking at an xs power manifold and a basic Piggyback ecu (EMB etc) or some very good secondhand buys.

IMO a good, well mapped ecu is probably the most important component of a good single setup, so it's not really something you want to skimp on.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

if you dont enjoy giving your money away then just buy one already done. by the time you buy a mint tt supra then convert it it will cost a fortune it will be all new but cost ridiculous ammounts of money and only be worth 50% of the cost when you sell it, theres a couple of 900 hp cars for sale for £26000 just buy one of those. theres also a 800 hp thor built supra for sale for £20000

if you dont enjoy giving your money away then just buy one already done. by the time you buy a mint tt supra then convert it it will cost a fortune it will be all new but cost ridiculous ammounts of money and only be worth 50% of the cost when you sell it, theres a couple of 900 hp cars for sale for £26000 just buy one of those. theres also a 800 hp thor built supra for sale for £20000

Honestly, where's the fun in that???? :)

When I did mine few years back...

2nd hand PHR turbo kit £1600

Greddy injectors £300

2nd has HKS fuel rail £100

Aeromotive FPR £150

New coil packs £450

So £2600 total in parts less oils etc..

Fitted the lot myself in under 12 hours..

I already had an EMB, double decat, exhaust walbro pump and the clutch was in good condition

But since all that I have had an engine rebuild, competition clutch/flywheel, AEM ECU, HKS DLI, new turbo, new wastegate, Bosch 044 pump HKS Cams...

Edited by heckler (see edit history)