The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Brakes.

sammytruck

Hi to all.....i have had to garage car for a while as a few things need to be sorted, lower arm bushes and new timimg belt, new tyres req and telemetry etc......I would like to change rear discs and calipers to drilled and slotted......i have brembo's on front but in all honesty cant afford brembo on rear at the moment.............is there a straight bolt on kit that i can buy....drilled and slotted would at least match the fronts and look " right ". I have found discs on various sites but no calipers with them, ideally would like a slightly larger pad than present ones.............car is import '99 facelift....orig TT......any help much appreciated.....thanks ian.

There is a lot of it on e-bay. I wouldn't do it though. Your stock discs will do all that you need unless your crazy track your car. Also, they won't warp or split as drilled and other cheap discs tend to.

Lots of info on different big brake kits here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225007-Big-Brake-Kits-Real-Numbers

....thank you for reply......if i dont change calipers, is i t reasonable to change disc (good quality) to drilled ...the car just doesn't look right imo.............and the disc only has a very narrow bright ring where pad is working leaving outer and inner ring on disc that is dull or rusty looking.................

There really is no real point in the drilled discs other than show (unless you specify your brakes for a certain use). I would rather go with some slottet discs as these wont crack when heated up. But still, good quality is important. Also, bear in mind a lot of high performace brake systems and production cars come with drilled/slottet fronts but not on the back.

If your pad doesn't come in contact with the entire surface of the disc, something is up. I would take out the pads to have a look at them. While doing that, I would also take off the discs to both measure that width is within specifications and also place them on a completly flat surface to see if they have warped in any way. Sounds like you have some rears in bad condition (which in extreme situations can mess with your brake bias, possibliy resulting in a spin while braking)

.........................thanks Homer...idiot proof....................i think i have 1 pot rears.

Brembos on the front and 1 pot rears on the back is not great in terms of front/rear brake bias. I'd fit a set of the larger 2pot rear calipers, stock Toyota discs and a good quality set of pads.

Forget cheap drilled/slotted disks they'll be prone to cracking/warping. Value for money and quality wise the stock Toyota discs are one of the best options. If you do want drilled/slotted discs on the back then go for a quality brand, but be prepared to spend a fair bit; DBA, Endless and Project Mu all do brake discs to fit the stock Supra calipers.

Brembos on the front and 1 pot rears on the back is not great in terms of front/rear brake bias. I'd fit a set of the larger 2pot rear calipers, stock Toyota discs and a good quality set of pads.

Forget cheap drilled/slotted disks they'll be prone to cracking/warping. Value for money and quality wise the stock Toyota discs are one of the best options. If you do want drilled/slotted discs on the back then go for a quality brand, but be prepared to spend a fair bit; DBA, Endless and Project Mu all do brake discs to fit the stock Supra calipers.

..........thanks for all advice.......new car for me and just starting to sort car as i would like it........hence a few bits to be done to make it safe. Think the advice of stock toyota discs and the larger two pot calipers with quality pads sounds the right way..........thanks alot.