The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Minimal engine bay pics

hodge

Hi guys

Just out of interest, does anyone have any pics of any supra engine bays (running and road legal) that have less in there than mine cos I'm struggling to find any.

I've seen pics of the hulk supra which has the PAS pump removed but I don't want to compromise drivability by pulling that out. I'm just after a few fresh ideas or have I already gone past what everyone else has already done.

I'll post some pics later on of the engine bays current state as there's been a few changes since I last posted pics.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there cant be any more fresh idea's mate, i have been thinking loads about mine and to be honest, its basically copying what you have done but with less OCD.

The bar has been set and i cant see much more being removed or located.

quick question- can a loom hide away be done without taking front wings off?

looking forward to pics John.

I think there cant be any more fresh idea's mate, i have been thinking loads about mine and to be honest, its basically copying what you have done but with less OCD.

The bar has been set and i cant see much more being removed or located.

quick question- can a loom hide away be done without taking front wings off?

looking forward to pics John.

Yep it can but it's tricky and depending on how much loom you want to hide.

problem i have is my side skirts are flushed in to the wings so could be a pain.

Im setting my sights on achieving something like this-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=135038&stc=1&d=1308993110

It can be done. I did my wiper and alarm plunger loom with the wing on it's just fiddly that's all and you have to know exactly where to drill the hole or it could all go terribly wrong lol.

That red car is anawesone engine bay but it could be better. If it were mine I'd relocate the brake booster pipe and where the loom goes into the bulkhead for sure.

Wow that red engine is awesome.

John yours is the best engine bay in this club by a long way imo ;)

Thanks Jamesy, but there's always room for improvement.

See everyone of those bays have more in there than mine. I really think I'm getting obsessed with all this now.

Anymore for anymore????

By the looks of things I've got the most shaved running supra engine bay in the whoooooole world lol.

See everyone of those bays have more in there than mine. I really think I'm getting obsessed with all this now.

Anymore for anymore????

By the looks of things I've got the most shaved running supra engine bay in the whoooooole world lol.

Haha yeah - but Supra owners are generally more obsessed with big power than shaved bays. Did I link you to the Honda bay thread? They LOVE their shaved/smoothed bays.

Guest JDM_DK

Since you are putting it out there hodge, I'm gonna be a straight shooter.

- Too many colors mix mathced.

- Too many parts painted white in some places, and too much bling in others.

- Bumps around the bay haven't been cut & smoothend before paint.

- Parts sticking out like a sore thump, such as the HKS cam wheels/oem belt combo, Veilside IM, lines & fittings, white silicone, BOV colors & location, Intake funnel, etc.

It's all in the details and selection of parts, and I'm not saying your bay is ugly, it looks better than most, but it is quite far from the bay that I know you wanna beat - KDW's :)

If you really want to know, you can always put up a vote on the US forum, and ask your fellow UK members not to vote (on here you will obv. get a biased result).

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8986/eb44.jpg

- Parts sticking out like a sore thump, such as the HKS cam wheels/oem belt combo, Veilside IM, lines & fittings, white silicone, BOV colors & location, Intake funnel, etc.

It's all in the details and selection of parts, and I'm not saying your bay is ugly, it looks better than most, but it is quite far from the bay that I know you wanna beat - KDW's :)

If you really want to know, you can always put up a vote on the US forum, and ask your fellow UK members not to vote (on here you will obv. get a biased result).

Hold on a minute buddy!!!!!!

I'm not trying to beat anybody. We all know KDW is the most famous, clever and bestest person in the whole of Denmark and my car will never be that good as it's the pinnacle of goodness, BUT,

1, what are all those wires an pipes around the brake and clutch servos,

2, why hasn't the O2 sensor been fitted into the midpipe where it can get it's optimum reading and be hidden,

3, Why is the EGT sensor in the turbo exhaust housing it's best off in runner 6 and again can be hidden.

4, why hasn't the loom been relocated through the bulkhead instead of it's current ugly position.

5, Please post pics up of your own supra please I'm interested.

I've set out to built what IMO is MY dream supra, at the end of the day I'm not really arsed if no-one likes it as long as I do I'm happy.

My comment about the most shaved engine bay was a joke but come to think of it stands as I've got a lot less in there that your illustrious leader has.

I've built the WHOLE CAR on just short of 40K and that's the whole car. If I had a budget like KDW and the SKILLS ODVIOUSLY,,, who knows.

Hold on a minute buddy!!!!!!

I'm not trying to beat anybody. We all know KDW is the most famous, clever and bestest person in the whole of Denmark and my car will never be that good as it's the pinnacle of goodness, BUT,

1, what are all those wires an pipes around the brake and clutch servos,

2, why hasn't the O2 sensor been fitted into the midpipe where it can get it's optimum reading and be hidden,

3, Why is the EGT sensor in the turbo exhaust housing it's best off in runner 6 and again can be hidden.

4, why hasn't the loom been relocated through the bulkhead instead of it's current ugly position.

5, Please post pics up of your own supra please I'm interested.

I've set out to built what IMO is MY dream supra, at the end of the day I'm not really arsed if no-one likes it as long as I do I'm happy.

My comment about the most shaved engine bay was a joke but come to think of it stands as I've got a lot less in there that your illustrious leader has.

I've built the WHOLE CAR on just short of 40K and that's the whole car. If I had a budget like KDW and the SKILLS ODVIOUSLY,,, who knows.

Play nice gents :angrymod: :)

Mike

Guest JDM_DK

I've seen you fishing for recognition as the all mighty cleanest bay, on several occations now hogde, and you always compare your Supra to KDW, why so touchy when given feedback on the matter then?

I don't know where you got the idea that the o2 gets the best reading in the midpipe.. The location of KDW's sensor is exactly where FJO recommends it, and why do you think Full-Race puts the bung there on their DP/MP combo? Go figure..

Regarding the EGT, again you don't make much sense. The best solution is to monitor EACH cylinder with 6 individual sensors, but putting a single EGT sensor in runner #6 is opening up the door for a whole lot of troubles. Placing it within a ft after the turbo is a much better option. Especially with a large frame turbo like his, that won't act nearly as much of a heat buffer as a smaller framed turbo.

Edited by JDM_DK (see edit history)

Oh Christ, any pics?

aem o2 sensor fitting

Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. If you anticipate

high EGT's (over 800C), run a turbocharger, run at high RPM for extended periods of time or plan on running leaded race fuel then you must mount the sensor at least 36 inches or more downstream of the exhaust port as all of these can cause the sensor to overheat. On turbocharged engines the UEGO sensor must be installed after the turbo charger, if not, the pressure differential will greatly affect the accuracy of the unit. For accurate readings, the sensor must be mounted before catalytic converters and/or auxiliary air pumps. To prevent collection of liquids between the sensor housing and sensor element during the cold start phase, the installation angle should be inclined at least 10° from horizontal with the electrical connection upwards.

And ref egt surely it is at its hottest between engine and and turbo, and not turbo to back box???? Even though i have mine in my downpipe,:)

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

Basically hodge, you would just fit your master cylinder with a direct link to the pedal, as opposed to through the servo first. Then fit a remote vacuum somewhere out of sight, maybe your inner wing. Then all you have to do is run the brake lines from the master, via the vacuum and then onto the calipers. Then run a vacuum line to the remote vacuum :) If your clutch is mega heavy, you could also fit a remote servo on that as well :)

Forgot to say, that if you wanted a challenge, you could fit some small motor racing masters under your dashboard, and then blank of the master cylinder hole in your engine bay. This would obviously require a massive amount of re-engineering of the under-dash pedal area, but im sure a man of you impeccable skill and perseverance would be up to the challenge, as you are striving for the ultimate shaved look! Lets face it, if I can do it to an old 60 american muscle car, im sure you can manage it on a sup! Oh yeh and you would also need to run a remote master, but you could hide this under the scuttle i reckon ;)

I've seen you fishing for recognition as the all mighty cleanest bay, on several occations now hogde, and you always compare your Supra to KDW, why so touchy when given feedback on the matter then?

I don't know where you got the idea that the o2 gets the best reading in the midpipe.. The location of KDW's sensor is exactly where FJO recommends it, and why do you think Full-Race puts the bung there on their DP/MP combo? Go figure..

Regarding the EGT, again you don't make much sense. The best solution is to monitor EACH cylinder with 6 individual sensors, but putting a single EGT sensor in runner #6 is opening up the door for a whole lot of troubles. Placing it within a ft after the turbo is a much better option. Especially with a large frame turbo like his, that won't act nearly as much of a heat buffer as a smaller framed turbo.

I cant be arsed to argue with you TBH. I suprised you can still type with your head stuck so far up KDW's back side im, how can you see the screen and know where the keys are.

But just to close he does have an amazing and unique engine no-one can take that away from him for sure but like I said give me 200K to build a car and I wont be far away. HODGE OVER AND OUT.

Sooooooooooooooo back on topic.

heres a few pics of how the bay looks at present, ive put white tape over all the holes the body shop will be filling bofore the bay is painted again to give some idea of the look of it once its done.

any advice, pointer or realistic criticizm is appreciated.

Very little left to be honest John. If it was my aim I would go with painting the topmounts white, powdercoating the camgears white and hange the fittings for black "stealth" ones and lastly change the anodized blue bits to white.

As for more shaving I wouldn't know where to begin with regards to moving what's left so I would be more inclined to look at what absolutely must stay.... and take it from there :D