The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T or NA-TT; I'm confused

pranavghule

Edit, there were no replies when I wrote this....

Hi,

How much time and money have you got?

I'd go for twins for driveablility as you can have a smaller primary turbo that will spool faster and be nice for daily driving but a bigger secondary for ultimate power.

All down to your driving style and budget but it seems like very few ever go twin. It's much more complex and for an NA, you'd have to rebuild the engine to take the power unless you keep it below about 8-9psi of boost which you can easily achieve and exceed with one small turbo. Not much point in going with twins unless you go big, in other words, then it's mega expensive and top end power is no better. At the highest levels, it's all down to money and tuning/mapping = reliability.

I had an NA and considered boosting it but it's about £2k+ for a basic conversion if you do it all yourself. Might as well swap the engine to a GTE. Then, if it's not enough, you're starting with a more suitable engine with the right pistons and compression ratio and won't have to do as much work on it for some good power.

I do prefer the way NA's drive though, up to a point, then they lack the power to pull through the mid-range in 3rd that a turbo has but for busy roads, you're better off with an NA and just keep it in 1st and 2nd! :D

Have a search around the site for a few threads covering this topic, as a few are considering or doing this at the moment.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

thnx for the replies guys

buh tt's and singles are very expensive

im lookin to spend arnd 8k in this 1 years time maybe go tt frst then single btwn 500 to 60bhp

i hav already got sme parts for the na-t like a BL NA-T manifold and wastegate and small things

buh later on i realised to higher bhp ill have to shell out a lot of money on the na-t conversion

so im confused

so im confused

More like you're in denial :) Do a search if you want details on what advice has been given.

i searched the forum found nothing related to na-tt

Based on your search what conclusion did you make regarding NA-T?

thnx for the replies guys

buh tt's and singles are very expensive

im lookin to spend arnd 8k in this 1 years time maybe go tt frst then single btwn 500 to 60bhp

i hav already got sme parts for the na-t like a BL NA-T manifold and wastegate and small things

buh later on i realised to higher bhp ill have to shell out a lot of money on the na-t conversion

so im confused

While you're at it mate, you might budget for some typing lessons!

Who's up for organising a group buy? :D

Question is though, what are your plans on the car?

If it is to get dyno numbers I know a couple which could give you 500bhp for a NA-T.

What will you be using the car for & how often, it is better to long term plan. Remember going from a TT to a single you would roughly want to budget £10k for that part of the jump. If that is your end goal then I'd look at getting a TT engine in there.

If you're going to be running the 5-speed box, then it will probably die a very brutal death with those projected power figures

If you're eventually looking for about 600bhp (if you are in fact serious about all this), then you will need to have a getrag 6-speed conversion which will cost you a fair whack (used the search bar), or the other option is to go with a built autobox, also not a cheap option. Bearing all this in mind, the best option for you would be to sell your n/a, add that to the £8,000 you have budgeted for the conversion, and buy a tidy TT 6-speed from a member when one arises.

When you add it all up, including your future plans: TT engine transplant, single turbo conversion, 6-speed conversion, TT diff, UK TT brakes etc....etc. It all becomes very expensive, the investment in a decent 6-speed TT now, will probably save you cash in the long haul

All good advice but means a reluctant sale and re-purchase. Seriously, I thought about going NA-T and 11k later, I have a stock TT VVTi when I could never justify more than 4k at first for an NA and could have bought a big single for the same amount.

Long term, it's cheaper to stump up the readies for a decent car unless you're happy with what you've got. Either way, good luck and learn all you can first. More haste, less speed, as my Mum used to say....... or was it more speed, less waste? Was too busy bouncing off the walls! :ecstatic:

plus 3 as Josh agreed aswell.

The TT engine (2JZ-GTE) is a much stronger engine than the NA. You will better a nicer gear box and little extras.

no its not , why do people keep saying this? can someone point out where the gte is stronger than the ge? same block. same crank , same rods .