The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MY New bonnet

Rob_Mitchell

Picked this rare gem up last night, offered it up today and is going to look nice but i need to find away of still using a strutbrace due to it hitting the vent system underneath, so looks like im going custom :eyebrows:.

I did take the TRD brace off and it fits perfectly as you would exspect but i need the strutbrace as i like the look of it under the bonnet. Plus im going to relocate the washer jets in the scuttle panel and route the pipe work out the way.

some quick pics taken of the bonnet but not shut down (hense the gaps :rolleyes:)

attachment.php?attachmentid=134969&stc=1&d=1308831663

attachment.php?attachmentid=134970&stc=1&d=1308831663

attachment.php?attachmentid=134971&stc=1&d=1308831663

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

the do-luck stuff is awesome, im looking to get a front bumper for mine, got a top secret atm but want a do-luck!

becoming very common now which is a shame but i still like the look. trying to piece the kit bit by bit, just waiting for a set of mirrors to pop up but they are super dooper rare.

yeh seeing more and more of the front bumpers on sups now but its a great looking bumper! never seen the do-luck mirrors tho!

supradibbs aka wayne had some on his do-luck kitted supra and thats the only set i have seen in person but i think there like £800ish from sumo-power but i have more important things to get at the moment for this engine im building.

Keep the top secret bumper its a very nice bumper and so is the whifbitz front (yummy)

It is a lovely bonnet but make sure you have got safety catches or plans for bonnet pins! Both myself and Colin (Chingy) had ours fly up and cause damage to various bits, I was only going 50ish. Check the thickness of the catches that lock in, they were quite thin on mine. Baldy sorted mine and Colin's, he also made the catches thicker, certainly worth looking into if you don't have other plans.

It is a lovely bonnet but make sure you have got safety catches or plans for bonnet pins! Both myself and Colin (Chingy) had ours fly up and cause damage to various bits, I was only going 50ish. Check the thickness of the catches that lock in, they were quite thin on mine. Baldy sorted mine and Colin's, he also made the catches thicker, certainly worth looking into if you don't have other plans.

yeah my catch bits look very very weak but i have thought about modifying it a bit to make them stronger. have you got a pic with the aerocatch's fitted? thanks for the head's up i remember chingy's one

baldy might see this thread and give me a bit of knowledge, fitment is perfect but the catch side of things worry me now, as a bonnet fly up is the last thing i need. Im not a huge fan of catches ect, so i had a idea of using the stock bonnet catches? i have a seriousy damaged bonnet here i could mess with.

I will try and get some pics of mine, I think colin got off lucky, his flew up and then up and over the car, mine took out the windscreen, scuttle, dented the roof and split the bonnet in half. I think you may need a different approach though. With mine split in half Simon fitted in a metal backplate and fitted in a stock safety catch like you have on the stock bonnet, obviously that required opening it up, it's also been filled with fibreglass so now feels quite heavy and secure.

It's a lovely car you have there so it's worth getting a propper solution in place. I will update pics when I get home.

yeah mate im not worried if i have to cut open the bonnet, as i can fibreglass over it and its being painted orange anyway. Its good in a way that problems have been had and i can try and iron them out before i have the same happen to me... if i can get away without catches ill be a happy man as im not 100% thats the look i like.

cheers for you help mate.

Here is mine, you can see the stock safety catch and one of the lugs that has been made thicker. Check your bonnet to see if there is a backplate for the stock catch to fit into but I don't remember seeing one on mine.

I think he may have beefed up the catches at the back but not sure.

As you can see my bonnet does not sit exactly how it did but if you are repairing this thing off the car then its tricky to get it o 'arch' the exact amount it did. I can adjust the bonnet a bit with the bolts at the back but doesn't really bother me.