The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new member from hertfordshire

Guest cache

Guest cache

hiya chaps :)

currently got a civic fn2 (2009) with a few cheeky mods and wondered about buying a cheap supra w turbo to mod and have fun with :D

would you guys recommend that or buying a fully modded one?

how reliable are these cars, especially from buying off places like a forum? also are non modded ones rather impossible to come by?

Chris

Welcome :)

Get some pictures of your Civic up!

When I was looking for a Supra, I only look in the classifieds on here 'cause then you can check the history of the car and see if the seller has had any issues with it.

It really depends what you want whether to buy a stock Supra or one that's all ready been modified. Decide what you want the car to be (TT/single) then check out the for sale section.

Good luck!

Guest cache

shall i stick pics on here or is there an album section or what? :)

i dont know an awful lot, is picking up a single or twin easier? stock id prefer cos then i can mod it to my satisfaction and get to know the car as it were :)

shall i stick pics on here or is there an album section or what? :)

i dont know an awful lot, is picking up a single or twin easier? stock id prefer cos then i can mod it to my satisfaction and get to know the car as it were :)

How much power do you want? A stock TT should be about 320bhp but you can go BPU (basic performance upgrade) which will give you 380-420bhp depending on what you do and how healthy the engine is.

If you go for a single then that'd be anywhere from 500 to well, however much you can afford ;)

Guest cache

haha well my fn2 is only about 215bhp so i think stock TT would be delightful and the plainer/lowest miles the better surely?

cant afford alot atm but spent a good 3 grand on mine when i shoulda just stuck a supercharger on it!

haha well my fn2 is only about 215bhp so i think stock TT would be delightful and the plainer/lowest miles the better surely?

cant afford alot atm but spent a good 3 grand on mine when i shoulda just stuck a supercharger on it!

I had a remapped 1.9TDi Golf mk5 (about 140bhp) then went to a stock Supra TT6. The Supra is ridiculously fast compared to the Golf!

I've just put a catback exhaust on it and a 2nd decat pipe (all ready had 1st decat, uprated spark plugs, uprated fuel pump) and it made 356bhp on the dyno. Looking for about 400 when I fit the FCD, boost controller and get a new intercooler then up the boost to 1.2bar.

Guest cache

im sure my step up will be less mega as that is double for you haha plus ill lose my gorgeous vtec :( never driven a turbo/rwd car before though.

arent decats illegal?

im sure my step up will be less mega as that is double for you haha plus ill lose my gorgeous vtec :( never driven a turbo/rwd car before though.

arent decats illegal?

I believe there's a law coming into place to say if the car was made with a cat, it has to have one.

I found the transition from FWD for RWD wasn't a problem at all. I'm only 22 so have limited driving experience but the car's easy to control and as long as you don't put your foot down on bends (especially when the 2nd turbo comes in), then you'll be fine :)

Guest cache

so they are or arent illegal? lol

heh yeah i think i can control my foot, ive just turned 23 myself...whats your insurance like?

so they are or arent illegal? lol

heh yeah i think i can control my foot, ive just turned 23 myself...whats your insurance like?

I'm not sure if they're illegal or not at the moment. AFAIK they aren't but you may need one to pass the emissions test in the MOT.

Insurance on a J-spec was over £2,000 hence the reason I paid more and bought a UK spec. Insurance is now £880 on an Admiral Multicar policy with 3 years NCB :cool:

oh wow, uk spec it is then, how do i know if its uk spec? also are twin turbos less to insure than single?

I paid just over £12k for mine and for the equivalent J-spec I would have paid about £8-10k.

There weren't that many UK spec Supras made (compared to J-specs) and even less of the 6 speeds. There's a lovely UK TT6 BPU for sale for £10k in the classifieds at the minute.

A single would be more to insure (or should be) than a TT due to all the modifications needed to go single.

Guest cache

so is the TT slower than the single? the ones in the classifieds, seems to be modded alot and with mega high mileage, which one were you referring to?

id rather it all be stock internals and have 40k miles on it hehe. in white or black for £4000! :D TT of course ;)

likelihood?

so is the TT slower than the single? the ones in the classifieds, seems to be modded alot and with mega high mileage, which one were you referring to?

id rather it all be stock internals and have 40k miles on it hehe. in white or black for £4000! :D TT of course ;)

likelihood?

Supras are either NA or TT as standard but "going single" just means swapping the small twin turbos for a larger single turbo to produce more power. A few have gone with larger twin turbos but most go for one single turbo to make it easier.

If you want an automatic then you may be lucky and find one for £4,000, but it's unlikely. If you want a TT then you may find one that's been for a swim or something :D

About mileage, as long as it's been looked after, it doesn't really matter. Some Supras have gone past 250,000 miles so I wouldn't worry too much.

Guest cache

i definnnitely want a 6 speed manual and i think stock TT will be plenty fast for me haha. so what things should i be avoiding? there are so many things to think of and know about regarding supras its unreal!

i definnnitely want a 6 speed manual and i think stock TT will be plenty fast for me haha. so what things should i be avoiding? there are so many things to think of and know about regarding supras its unreal!

What kind of budget do you have? If you have the money then I'd recommend buying the UK TT6 that's for sale at the moment. It does have 100,000 miles on it but as long as it's been serviced regularly and looked after, it'd be fine.

If you want a J-spec TT6 and can afford the insurance then they come up for sale every so often on here. That, or speak to Jurgen about importing one for you.

If you buy a Supra that's all ready had the BPU mods done then you can just turn the boost controller down/off so you drive it with the stock power. No doubt you'll put it up and leave it up (1.2bar) quite quickly though ;)

Guest cache

haha well if my insurance is as high as yours i might wait a year, im only 23 but i do have 5 years of no claims, not that it makes much difference nowadays, my civic insurance is 900 quid but i do have one sp30 for being 88 in a 70 (apparently) and thats with adrian flux.

my budget is not huge atm and im not sure i wanna trade my fn2 in because i lurve it but i do fancy a nice run around car so i can just use my civic for my motorway journeys i do

haha well if my insurance is as high as yours i might wait a year, im only 23 but i do have 5 years of no claims, not that it makes much difference nowadays, my civic insurance is 900 quid but i do have one sp30 for being 88 in a 70 (apparently) and thats with adrian flux.

my budget is not huge atm and im not sure i wanna trade my fn2 in because i lurve it but i do fancy a nice run around car so i can just use my civic for my motorway journeys i do

If you just want it for a runaround then go for an NA auto. You can pick one up for under £2,000 :p

The Supra is a good longh distance cruiser but drinks fuel like no other!

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

Guest cache

@Josh - I definitely want a manual :( autos just dont give the same feel as gear changes yourself do they! Will saver up a bit longer but i dont think ill be spending 8k :( not yet anyway, my girlfriend lives in yeovil and i travel down most weekends = lots of petrol!

@Scotty71 - Im still in love with my civic though haha which is why i fancied it as a runaround car to and from work (15 min drive) and the odd, leisurely drive of course :D My long distance im saving for my civic which when driven like a girl can get 330 miles to the 60 quid tank

@Attero - Im from Welwyn Garden City mate :)

So whats the difference between UK spec and J-Spec?

Also What if I kept a decat on? I am not car able to swap them myself and id rather it be ready to pass mots and stuff :)

@Josh - I definitely want a manual :( autos just dont give the same feel as gear changes yourself do they! Will saver up a bit longer but i dont think ill be spending 8k :( not yet anyway, my girlfriend lives in yeovil and i travel down most weekends = lots of petrol!

@Scotty71 - Im still in love with my civic though haha which is why i fancied it as a runaround car to and from work (15 min drive) and the odd, leisurely drive of course :D My long distance im saving for my civic which when driven like a girl can get 330 miles to the 60 quid tank

@Attero - Im from Welwyn Garden City mate :)

So whats the difference between UK spec and J-Spec?

Also What if I kept a decat on? I am not car able to swap them myself and id rather it be ready to pass mots and stuff :)

Swapping the decat for a cat is very easy. If you can get the car up enough to get under there, it's a very simple job.

Have a read of these guides; http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?60-Basic-Supra-Guides

They'll tell you all you need to know. I also didn't consider an auto Supra because I enjoy the involvement of a manual. The auto 'box is regarded as being excellent and it makes the car quicker in a straight line.

Guest cache

just read the whole lot and wowww thats a lot of info! the 'things that tend to break' paragraph was a scary one lol.

i definitely want a TT uk spec one for the extras and the insurance aspect but theyre gonna be the more expensive ones right? catting and decatting (meow) seem to be alright if i jacked it up, just a bolt or two right?

just read the whole lot and wowww thats a lot of info! the 'things that tend to break' paragraph was a scary one lol.

i definitely want a TT uk spec one for the extras and the insurance aspect but theyre gonna be the more expensive ones right? catting and decatting (meow) seem to be alright if i jacked it up, just a bolt or two right?

A UK TT6 will be hard to come by but will be well worth it if the insurance on a J-spec is high for you.

There are just 2 bolts at each end of the 2nd cat/decat. Easy to change :)