The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC and your Air Con

Sharpie

I got a HKS R-type FMIC last year and on the way home the external air temps were ~28-30 dec C and my air con was cr@p where previously it was VERY cold :)

Well, most know my story now so, I have only had the car back a short while (couple of weeks) and I have a new FMIC, new Air con rad and new water rad ....all new rads at the front ....ANYWAY, it's all new and fully regassed and if the external temps go over ~25 dec C then, I have to leave the AC switched off as it's just hot air coming in :mad:

I had never read about this problem on here, SF or other boards but, this is a problem of blocking the AC rad with the FMIC so, if AC is a must for you then the FMIC is not for you.

I might remove the new AC rad and at least get a little more air to the water rad since, I won't be using AC anymore.

Oh, water temps are fine btw so, no problem their.

I hope this helps

Originally posted by SimonB

I have absolutely no problems with mine, but mine is a manual if there's any difference. I haven't noticed any difference in the air con after putting the FMIC on.

Do the autos have a cooler in the rad like some other types of car, or do I remember something about a seperate cooler in the passenger side bumper gap?

Ben..

Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop

Do the autos have a cooler in the rad like some other types of car, or do I remember something about a seperate cooler in the passenger side bumper gap?

Ben..

The one in the water rad is the oil cooler and the one in the air pod is the tranny cooler on the UK spec.

JB, even on the move it blows warm/hot air in when it should be freezing.

The air con rad is the large single core unit in front of the water rad right ?

Peter,

You'll probably find that the fan has been removed to allow the intercooler to fit, as the fan surround is quite big. I have a smaller fan I'm going to try on it as soon as my Top Seccret bumper is ready to go on (cant be arsed taking the bumper off otherwise!).

If you pop the bonnet up and see if the fan is still sitting there inbetween the intercooler and rad.

Originally posted by Branners

not sure which one it is, Barry might know as he's been looking in to it. I certainly found that once moving over about 20mph the aircon cooled down, and above 40mph it was nice and cold.

JB

I wish! Its cack now, definatly needs a re-gas. Even at 70+ its still pants, just get normal 'luke warm' air blowing through!

Originally posted by Barry

Peter,

You'll probably find that the fan has been removed to allow the intercooler to fit, as the fan surround is quite big. I have a smaller fan I'm going to try on it as soon as my Top Seccret bumper is ready to go on (cant be arsed taking the bumper off otherwise!).

If you pop the bonnet up and see if the fan is still sitting there inbetween the intercooler and rad.

The A/C relies on the auillary fan at low forward speeds, or standstill. I believe with your install that's history now, someting HKS fail to mention...

Originally posted by Supragal

Ians was fine the other day... I'll be fitting mine at some point (hopefully this year) so it's something to watch out for

The Blitz intercooler I've got retains the fans. Fans you say? Ah, yes, the facelift version has twin shrouded fans for the aircon :D It's not the coldest aircon ever, I've been in some cars where it's so cold it hurts, but it does the job.

-Ian