The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ride quality

Iky

hi,

How would one achieve a ride quality like a Lexus without going the custom suspension route ie. CW Setup?

I want that gliding feeling where all you feel is the car moving forwards and not up or down. I once experienced this in an old Lexus and would love that feel in my Supra. I only use the Supra as a cruizing car and will probably never take it on a track.

Is it possible to retrofit Lexus suspension parts as a straight bolt on jobby?

Many thanks in advance.

I think you've answered your own question, go to Chris Wilson. You could spend much more than he charges on a set of good coil overs, and it wouldn't be as good.

I would love a C.W setup but it's just the cost holding me back. I was hoping that there was another option like using good used Lexus parts to replicate the ride feel.

I didn't mind the stock Supra suspension at first but now it's got a tad annoying, the roads are getting worse around here.

I guess I'll just have to put up with for the time being. :(

Didn't UK specs have softer suspension? Do you have the stock yellow Bilsteins?

Just beat me to it. :tongue:

I've read before on hear that CW has used dampers/springs, the UK spec car has a softer ride.

Might we worth sending him an email to ask his advice. :)

Just beat me to it. :tongue:

I've read before on hear that CW has used dampers/springs, the UK spec car has a softer ride.

Might we worth sending him an email to ask his advice. :)

I will do that.

I actually bought a low mileage uk setup from an old and well known(I think) ex member on here who upgraded to a C.W setup. The uk setup was more stiffer than my jap ones! :wtf:

You could always sit on a cushion, fit some smaller wheels and let the tyres down a bit. Much cheaper option. :D

How's the headlamp search going btw?

Hi bud, acutally tried letting the tyres but not the cushion :D

Ive got hold of some cheap headlamps that needed work, currently in progress. Ive still not had a change to take yours off the car yet :(

Just waiting for some decent weather. It usually starts pi$$ing it down as soon as i finish work here. I'll be in touch soon.

Hi bud, acutally tried letting the tyres but not the cushion :D

I've got hold of some cheap headlamps that needed work, currently in progress. I've still not had a chance to take yours off the car yet :(

Just waiting for some decent weather. It usually starts pi$$ing it down as soon as I finish work here. I'll be in touch soon.

I think we're on the tail end of the rain now, atleast down south. We really need much more though. Swap ya some? :D

CW suspension will NOT give you Lexus type ride quality. It's geared towards a track type setup so will be rather hard.

UK setup is much softer than the jspec setup, so if you changed and found them harder either your old suspension was knackered or the UK's were not stock.

Quite honestly, if you found the UK suspension too hard you will not find anything available softer without getting something custom made.

CW suspension will NOT give you Lexus type ride quality. It's geared towards a track type setup so will be rather hard.

UK setup is much softer than the jspec setup, so if you changed and found them harder either your old suspension was knackered or the UK's were not stock.

Quite honestly, if you found the UK suspension too hard you will not find anything available softer without getting something custom made.

I appreciate your input Homer.

I thought Chris's setup was custom?

I can only assume the uk ones were knackered. They made a swish sound when going over speed humps which I thought was normal but now I'm starting to think otherwise.

If I remember correctly, isn't the MkIV based on GS/IS300 subframes and parts? Surely must be a simple damper/spring unit swap from one, like you tried, assuming stock units?

Whilst money is obviously an issue, it's 'only' around £600 for a full set of BC, Tein, D2 etc. adjustable units and surely they must have the range to become as soft as you want? I haven't used them but loads on here have.

It's always going to be a compromise though Iky, between ride comfort and handling and personally, for safety reasons alone, (buckling your wheels down potholes notwithstanding), I'd go for the stiffest setup I could live with.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)