The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Retrim part 2

Rob_Mitchell

Well decided to go further with the car as most of you will know by looking at the gold rush thread.

i have just taken the dash out ect and im taking it to my trimmer- going for black alcantara with double orange stitching and ill have a bit of leather work incorporated in the trim too, so it ties in with the seats.

I think it will look good once finished.

Very looking forward to this but not looking forward in fitting it

attachment.php?attachmentid=134818&stc=1&d=1308561922

attachment.php?attachmentid=134819&stc=1&d=1308561922

attachment.php?attachmentid=134820&stc=1&d=1308561922

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

i'll be getting mine done soon too, similar but all black leather with double red stitching.. removing the dash is what has held me back up till now as i really can't be bothered.. after doing HateEvents heater matrix i know the job isn't fun.. still, it will be worth it. looking forward to see how yours turns out, remember to replace the matrix with a new unit even if the old one seems fine, if your going to do the job, do it once. ;)

yeah i did think about replacing it when i take mine out. its not a bad job but its the loom which is cable tied to it which is the pig. I think red leather would look better in yours Marc.

stop it! just when i think i've made my mind up something makes me question it again, i sway between the all red or all black all the time.. all red would be yet another gamble i'd have to take where as the all black is the safe route... i've yet to take the safe route so far i guess.. :D

stop it! just when i think i've made my mind up something makes me question it again, i sway between the all red or all black all the time.. all red would be yet another gamble i'd have to take where as the all black is the safe route... i've yet to take the safe route so far i guess.. :D

black looks standard looking in my opinion thats why i am going to get as much orange stitching on it as possible but not so it looks tacky... as you said its such a poo job and you only want to do it the once so you might as well take a gamble.

I dont have a lairy interior, i have all black leather piped in orange and stitched in orange... the dash is the only thing i never got around to doing so im doing it now why the love is strong

Can I please see some photos?

I dont have a lairy interior, i have all black leather piped in orange and stitched in orange... the dash is the only thing i never got around to doing so im doing it now why the love is strong

Haha, sorry I didn't mean to sound like your interior was going to be too lairy - but re-reading my post, I did sound like that. From the pictures, it looks quite understated and nice. Look forward to seeing it in person though :)

Haha, sorry I didn't mean to sound like your interior was going to be too lairy - but re-reading my post, I did sound like that. From the pictures, it looks quite understated and nice. Look forward to seeing it in person though :)

:D, should be cool and more importantly takes the car up a level as dash retrims are quite uncommon prob due to the work getting them out and money having it done

Should look good. My interior needs a trim at some point also, lots of people do bits of the dash themselves but do more people not bother with the rest because it is such an awkward shape? I don't think you could do it in one piece but it must be possible to do it yourself providing you could find the right type of material for it to stretch over the contours and maybe heat to shape?

I am not saying your retrim won't look awesome or that you should do it yourself btw, I would certainly pay if I had the cash just wondering why people don't have a crack at it or if they do what's the best sort of stuff to use. :)

your right in what your saying but there will have to be joins and thats why you will have stitching involved. i guess you could buy some cheap material and bond it over the top but could look horrible if it starts to peel off plus the dash is a weird shape so more likely not to last.

As i said i would rather pay a pro to do it as i am not planning on taking the dash out again its a mission.

Its the same argument when people attempt to paint cars, you get what you pay for. trimmers are artists in my opinion, its such a skill to trim something perfectly and stretch leather ect.

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Yeah now I look at the shape it could be a bit of a sod, shame the dash doesn't break up into seperate bits. I would love to get mine done in a sort of black suede style with dark blue stitch at some point :) will have to wait for more pocket money though. Have you thought what you are going to do with the speaker grill bits? do you still have stock speakers in your car or are you going to cover over them?

my door cards are all done mate, still have stock speakers as im not into all that stuff... rather listen to my car.

Alcantara what im using is a black suede plus i have gone for a thinner type so easy to shape and more importantly when it comes to fitting it will be easy. The little speakers in the dash will be outlined with orange stitching. Just have to wait till its done but the vision i have in my head is nice