The mkiv Supra Owners Club

unusual turbo location

dr_jekyll

i was searching the web for the best solutions on fitting turbos to v8 with little space and i found this little beauty.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300/541023-wtf-1uzfe-turbo-im-either-a-genius-or-an-idiot-3.html

about half way down the page

questions . would this really work? how would the turbo being so far away effect performance and surly the turbo would need it own little sump with a pump to send the oil back to the engine?

but all that aside , that looks super cool . im thinking 1 uz with a t78 instead if a backbox :)

it looks cool and would make things like changing turbos ect easyer and more acessable but i cant see it working too well . the porker is a different story as the engine is back ther anyway . but it is different hmm , v8 rear turbo . ot in the consideration pot. on the upside thers pleanty of time for the charged aiur to cool :)

interesting , so would you just use flow for the oil returne or will you get a backlog in the core and dop the seals ? and in the case of the exhast gases cooling and compressing would running a smaller hotside compensate for that? the mind is turning over now

interesting , so would you just use flow for the oil returne or will you get a backlog in the core and dop the seals ? and in the case of the exhast gases cooling and compressing would running a smaller hotside compensate for that? the mind is turning over now

I believe you have to run a pump to return the oil, the way it was described in the article I read was it was kinda self feeding ie as you run more boost the exhaust velocity increases etc etc but yes I would go for a smaller rear housing, you may be having to experiment a bit.

Ive seen those rear mounted turbo's allot lately in the US, especialy with corvettes and other V8 powered cars with less engine bay space.

i cant see why annyone would do this other then not having the space in the engine bay, it would suck a very large amount of dirt into the air filter

and can kill a turbo pretty quickly due to shaking of exhaust. Also the IC piping is miles long propably causing turbo lag.

it has some positive things to it too, spool up on these back mounted tubbys should be better, its just that the air needs to deliver a pretty long distance to the intake mani.

iv considerd that too an the air feed to the turbo will be going up into the car and breathing in place of the rear pass side window?(obiouslt with a moulded plastic window in place if you can picture it) . as for the shaking i was thing 2 study steel mounts to bolt to the chassis with rubber bushes.

Well it looks like we may be doing this on a customer car now and too make it more trick we are going to make like a little dry sump system in the boot to supply the turbo with oil, so it has its own little standalone oil system.

Well it looks like we may be doing this on a customer car now and too make it more trick we are going to make like a little dry sump system in the boot to supply the turbo with oil, so it has its own little standalone oil system.

thats awsome , could you do abuild thread on it . id like to see it done