The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changed the Lambda still seems to be far to thirsty...

Thomas.B

Hey, still believe I have a fuel issue after changing the Lambda.

As far as I remember I shouldnt have to reset anything when changing it, right?

Anything else that can be making it use this much fuel? (I am not driving like an arse all of the time)

Hey, still believe I have a fuel issue after changing the Lambda.

As far as I remember I shouldnt have to reset anything when changing it, right?

Anything else that can be making it use this much fuel? (I am not driving like an arse all of the time)

whats your average fuel consumption?

you should be seeing a combined mileage of around 18-22mpg with a TT

I came 8mpg when driving steady at around 80mph. 120-130miles on almost a full tank.

I havent really had time to use it much but changed the lambda (the one recommended on here from sparkplugs) and drove to get it tinted today and the fuel needle keeps falling like its was bungy-jumping.

Do I really need to reset the ECU? The lambda should be feeding the ECU with fresh info all the time... ?

I came 8mpg when driving steady at around 80mph. 120-130miles

you are right, that is not normal.

check for the right lambda sensor

reset ECU (maybe its still running in limp mode)

do you have an AFR gauge, if so what sort of readings are you seeing.

could be sparkplugs - what do they look like when you pull them out

or maybe you have a leak.....check fuel lines.

Have had the car on idle for longer periods and no dripping, fuel lines look fine (engine bay).

Aint it strange that the car wont jump out of limp-mode when the new lambda is fitted?

How long does the ECU need to be reset?

I bought sparkplugs last week (am going to change all fluids etc also) but it does respond good and runs fine...

Sadly no AFR gauge.

Thanks.

Edited by Thomas.B (see edit history)

After resetting the ECU it'll need a 3-4 miles of regular driving to sort itself out. It certainly sounds like something is wrong as there's no way you should be getting those sort of mpg figures ouside of a trackday session.

I think it was mentioned above, but do you have an AFR guage?

After resetting the ECU it'll need a 3-4 miles of regular driving to sort itself out. It certainly sounds like something is wrong as there's no way you should be getting those sort of mpg figures ouside of a trackday session.

I think it was mentioned above, but do you have an AFR guage?

Dont have an AFR, but the lambda is new. Is it normal that it gives a shitload of petrol when resetting the ECU (at startup)? It went away after driving a short distance.

Dont think it leeks as I had it "on" (not started) for a long time and the fuel pump did not load.

Have you checked things like vacuum fed to fuel regulator, also the regulator itself, IAT sensor will have a big effect on cold start, but not so much once warmed up, it would also be worth checking the MAP sensor, although if there was a serious problem with it you would notice by the way It runs.

Oh! and also check the ECU water temp sensor, as that will have a big impact on consumption if faulty.