The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PLX gauges and modules

bigbloodyturbo

Im looking at the PLX modules and single gauges and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I searched and a few people have mentioned they were going to fit them but no afterthoughts about their performance.

I was looking at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLX-DM-5-EGT-Black-Gauge-Sensor-Module-SM-EGT-/120575415087?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c12dad32f

I've got a LC-1 wideband from innovate and a digital gauge for it. Was wanting an EGT module aswell just to be safe. Eventually I'd want oil pressure aswell so I'd be covered with the three main ones. PLX seems to have a nice range that can all daisy chain up and in the future work off a nice OLED gauge. I'm about to order these this week but would like some piece of mind from any members who have got them or had any experience with them before i do:)

You could probably fit a full Racepack dash for similar money (?) and get all the info in one place.

I just had a google of racepack and it certainly looks like a nice piece of kit. Would look very nice inplace of the speedo/tach but it looks very much orientated to the motorsport crowd, do you have one? are the sensors/transducer very expensive? I like the PLX stuff as it looked like middle ground, not cheap tat but not total overkill for what I need. Not sure if i need a lap timer and shift lights:)

I have a plx setup, waste of sodding money and wish I'd gone down a different route. The numbers on the screen are all but useless when they are even readable.

I may have had a dodgy unit but trying to sort problems out with them based in the states is a nightmare.

Great in theory, rubbish in practise!

:lol:

Yeah I love mine, can add what I want to it as I need it. The graph traces are quite useful allow you to plot any two imuts against each other.

Now with your input I was almost decided! but then cheekymonkey's response has made me worry.

Cheekymonkey, what problems did you have exactly? did the thing stop working or was it just hard to read?

Now with your input I was almost decided! but then cheekymonkey's response has made me worry.

Cheekymonkey, what problems did you have exactly? did the thing stop working or was it just hard to read?

1. The display unit is unstable, and cycles through colours and jumps around quite a lot

2. When it's readable the actual values are FAR too unstable, you can get the idea of water temp etc but nothing too accurate. It will go from 75 to 85 back down then oscillate around. There seems to be no smoothing out of the values - and physical water temps don't fluctuate that rapidly.

You can see these issues here

however it seems to be behaving itself today, the colours are only flickering at the top of the screen and the values are relatively stable.

3. EGT doesn't work properly. When i boot it the display goes to 990 degrees C which is crazy, then stays there for a good few seconds after I come off the throttle.

4. The screen is far too reflective so you can forget about daytime use unless you mount it somewhere really out of the way. I did have mine in the 60mm clock hole (facelift) in the centre console but was unusable. It's now "OK" in daytime now that I have mounted it in the right hand climate control vent.

Now, these may be simple problems that can be sorted out, but I have had NO HELP from PLX, last time I rang I was told to send an email to a guy called Nick, so I send a long email and had no response whatsoever.

I've basically given up with having everything sorted out which is a shame.

Edited by cheekymonkey (see edit history)

1. The display unit is unstable, and cycles through colours and jumps around quite a lot

2. When it's readable the actual values are FAR too unstable, you can get the idea of water temp etc but nothing too accurate. It will go from 75 to 85 back down then oscillate around. There seems to be no smoothing out of the values - and physical water temps don't fluctuate that rapidly.

You can see these issues here

however it seems to be behaving itself today, the colours are only flickering at the top of the screen and the values are relatively stable.

3. EGT doesn't work properly. When i boot it the display goes to 990 degrees C which is crazy, then stays there for a good few seconds after I come off the throttle.

4. The screen is far too reflective so you can forget about daytime use unless you mount it somewhere really out of the way. I did have mine in the 60mm clock hole (facelift) in the centre console but was unusable. It's now "OK" in daytime now that I have mounted it in the right hand climate control vent.

Now, these may be simple problems that can be sorted out, but I have had NO HELP from PLX, last time I rang I was told to send an email to a guy called Nick, so I send a long email and had no response whatsoever.

I've basically given up with having everything sorted out which is a shame.

Thankyou very much for your response, I think i better have a scout about then. Would hate to buy them and have simillar problems. Its a real shame if this isn't an isolated problem, as they look good and seem to have a lot to offer.

Thankyou very much for your response, I think i better have a scout about then. Would hate to buy them and have simillar problems. Its a real shame if this isn't an isolated problem, as they look good and seem to have a lot to offer.

I dont have the Racepack yet! You dont need to use the very expensive racepack sensors and the lights can be set up for road use.

Paul Whiffin has one on his car, SteveL on his racer and a few others. Now I am at full BPU I need to get the extra guages so will be going down this route. I do not want pods and guages all over the place.

Give Paul at Whifbitz a call and ask him how much all the bits will cost. The screen is £500 iirc and you can add data logging etc if you want. I guess a few hundred quid on top for sensors and you should be laughing!