The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil temp

afennell

I used to worry about this as I have an HKS Oil Tempature gauge fitted that has a red warning light rather than a warning buzzer.

The warning light comes on if the tempature goes above 100 (which it does everytime I take it out on the motorway).

On the hottest day of last year (I believe it was the hottest day on record in this country ever) I remember mixing it with an X5 and the oil tempature got up around the 125-130 mark but in normal driving and in normal british weather I have never seen it go above 120.

If only I could work out how to adjust the warning setting on the oil tempature gauge.

Originally posted by DaveM

If only I could work out how to adjust the warning setting on the oil tempature gauge.

I've got some instructions at home that detail how to change the warning levels on the HKS boost gauge. I expect the oil temp will be the same or very similar, I know the EGT is.

If you have access to a fax PM me your number and I'll send them over on Monday.

i was faster then the m3 but not by much. arn't the new ones around 400 bhp? (was running standard boost at the time)

No, the m3 is 340 bhp, even the lightweight csl version is 360 bhp. The current m5 is 400 bhp.

They are quick cars, but I've driven a few and you feel quite isolated from everything so it dosent actually feel like your going that fast, it also feels like your really thrashing the engine once you do start using the performance.

Originally posted by Scooter

can oil temp be too cool? is there an ideal temp range.......

The main risk from cold oil is pressure spikes on startup, altough I suspect there is an optimum temperature range. I'm no tribologist, but it seems logical. In practise you pick the oil accoring to the blahWblah rating anyway, which is effectively its normal temperature range.

Most of the problems encountered during engine development are to do with the oil getting too hot, and the pressure (usually in the head) dropping.

Extra-hot oil may be an issue for VVT-i cars as the cam phaser is operated hydraulically. However I was looking at the gubbins on Sunday and it seems to have it's own external oil feed (via a honking great big banjo bolt). I didn't check where the feed came from, but it may be somewhere near the pump where the oil is stil nice and cool.

The other problem with oil that is too cool is that moisture doesn't boil off as vapour. Decent oil cooler setups have a thermostatic valve that only routes oil through the cooler when it gets above a certain temp, so it doesn't takes ages to warm up on startup.

I was also wondering about oil being overcooled.

I've just fitted a 16 row mocal oil cooler which sits behind the bumper vent on the passenger side. I was thinking, is it possible for the oil to be overcooled during the winter months when there are temps below freezing or is this unlikely to happen as the hot oil is circulating ?

It will probably just mean that it takes ages to warm up in the winter. If you're worried about it you can get an oil thermostat (oilstat) that will only route oil through the cooler when needed and plumb that in. Mocal do them, they're not expensive.