The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats faster, 100% throttle with 1bar boost, or 80% throttle & 1.2bar boost?

Lude

basically, im still yet to get a restrictor ring correct size, and i cannot floor my car in higher gears as overboosts,

so i find myself applying the throttle about 80%, so that i keep boost safe and at 1.2bar

obviously the optimum performance would be 100% throttle & 1.2bar, but still havent got the correct size RR!

the only thing i dislike about the supra is this method of managing the boost

the only thing i dislike about the supra is this method of managing the boost

It's not ideal but it cheap and simple fix, for best results I'd get a restrictor ring to limit boost to 1bar and fit a boost controller to raise to 1.2bar

thread is more of a rant than anything,

i actually have a RR, and its the second one iv had, which the ring didnt restrict enough.

i also have a boost controller too,

im just gona have to get an RR with a real small hole i think, but wont this be too restrictive and make the turbos work harder, by forcing it up with the EBC?

the both rrs ive purchased have been sold as 1bar restrictors, but just havent restriced.

Turbo's are controlled by the wastegate, the only reason you need a RR is because the stock wastegate cant flow enough to restrict boost when there is no restriction like cats and a standard muffler. It wont put anymore stress on your turbo to set the boost to 1bar with a RR and bleed your wastegate singal line to attain 1.2bar, the turbo is not working any harder by using an EBC.

edit- Please dont try and control boost with your right foot, thats fine when your driving about with no load but someday you'll try and accelerate up a hill or in to high a gear and you wont notice your boost goin past 1.2bar, then all you'll get is a bill for a knackered no.2 turbo.

Edited by bigbloodyturbo (see edit history)

hmm i get you,

but i just thaught that as its bad to have the 2 cats in place and the boost turned up to 1.2, as the cats restrict

i have the 2 cats removed,

so didnt want to have too much of a ring that restricts too much as thaught it might be bad for the turbos, in the same way leaving the 2 cats on with high boost would

(if you get me)

hmm i get you,

but i just thaught that as its bad to have the 2 cats in place and the boost turned up to 1.2, as the cats restrict

i have the 2 cats removed,

so didnt want to have too much of a ring that restricts too much as thaught it might be bad for the turbos, in the same way leaving the 2 cats on with high boost would

(if you get me)

Maybe try and put the 2nd cat back in and see if that restricts it to 1bar.

What exhaust do you have fitted?

Edit: Just noticed it's a Nur Spec R.

right ok thanks,

yea i am Blitz Nur & double decat, with a restrictor ring in, 1st gear, second, and third my booost is fine, but like i say i cannot go WOT in 4th gear as boost goes much too high.

so il be fine to get a real small restrictor ring, then just increase off the EBC yea? was worried that a small RR would be bad but think itl be ok now yea

right ok thanks,

yea i am Blitz Nur & double decat, with a restrictor ring in, 1st gear, second, and third my booost is fine, but like i say i cannot go WOT in 4th gear as boost goes much too high.

so il be fine to get a real small restrictor ring, then just increase off the EBC yea? was worried that a small RR would be bad but think itl be ok now yea

yes as nic says, you'll be fine. Dont stick a tiny home made one in but I think its like 53mm or something for 1.1bar. It changes from car to car. I put a 1.2 bar RR from envy when they used to be a trader on here and i never got 1.2bar, i got 1.1 max with no EBC. Some people dont even need one (very few), Chris wilson used to sell 1 bar RR i think. You only build maximum boost under load so stay out of top gear under load and avoid wot in higher gears untill you get a RR or put your second cat back in. Dont put your first cat back in as I believe it causes higher egt's than your second and the second is easier to chop and change anyway.

Aim for 1bar in 2nd gear, that will hit around 1.1bar in 5th at WOT. Then simply use the boost controller to up the boost to a nice linear 1.2bar.

Don't go any lower than 1bar with the RR as you don't want to go to all the hassle of removing the cats to lower the EGTs only to restrict the system too much raising them again.

This whole thread over skimping on a £15 part? I can't believe my eyes.

if you read the thread i alerady have 1. price isnt an issue, was just thinking how much speed/performance im losing due to my existing RR being wrong, and after ive had 2 of them

bumping this thread,

whifbitz have replied to my email for a requst to make a smaller restrictor ring,

and advised they only make 1 size, if the ring didnt restrict it i must have a problem with my pipework somewhere??