The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another insurance thread....

Guest Martyn

Guest Martyn

If anyone is thinking of insuring with Elephant or Admiral you might want to think again.

After having an accident in my MR2 Turbo the claim was going fairly smoothly...until I got this via e-mail today....

We have decided to settle your claim on a "total loss" basis. We have based our valuation on the current market value of your car, calculated as follows:

Market Value £ 2,250.00

Less Excess £ 500.00

Less Remaining Insurance Premium £ 841.78

Settlement figure £ 908.22

Our settlement cheque will follow shortly. Banking our cheque will not prejudice your position.

So let me get this straight, I paid just under 7k for an 94 MR2 Turbo only worth 2250 quid last month? Hmmmm! Did anyone say 'Insurance Onbudsman' lol?

Obviously I'm not going to accept this. So I've sent them the following....

Please pass this information on to the claim handler to take into account whilst valuing my car...

I would also appreciate it if you took into account that my car was the high spec Revision 3 'GT' Turbo with very low mileage for the year (70,000ish KMS - Roughly 43,000 miles) in a highly desirable colour (Met Black) with a very comprehensive history including a receipt for a replacement standard turbo costing in the region of £900 which was fitted a few months ago.

The car took my a long time to find, I looked at a lot of trash on the AutoTrader costing a lot less but most of them were very tatty GT-S's with patchy history.

A few examples of the market value are supplied below....

http://www.mr2-direct-imports.co.uk/ - See 'Stocklist'

http://www.spimports.co.uk/showroom.asp?type=toyota

http://www.neweraimports.com/stock.htm

http://www.goulders.co.uk/_goulderframe7.htm

Kind Regards,

Martyn Thomas

Anyone had any dealings like this? :conf:

It's standard practice to try and shaft customers with the first offer, sick to your guns, send Autotrader links and keep pestering them.

Cheapest rev 3 I know of at the moment is £4500 and it's a GTS, hardtop in red so hardly the most desirable option.

Do me a favour when you speak to them, if they can get rev 3's for £ 2250.00 can you ask them where, at that price I'll take 4!

Guest Martyn

Is yours an import too?

Apparently they have a little book of JDM car prices...thats where they magic'd up that insulting figure! The lady tried to tell me she got the price from glass's until I told her it doesnt cover imports.

Guest Martyn
Originally posted by mcanny

Do me a favour when you speak to them, if they can get rev 3's for £ 2250.00 can you ask them where, at that price I'll take 4!

Yea, I kinda joked at her and said about being able to get another for that price and how I was massively ripped off when I brought mine.

Guest Martyn

Right, after another session on the phone I have the value of the car upto 'retail' which is apparently £4975 before excess and remaining premium

. I have once again expressed my disgust and I should get a call back from a manager tomorrow....What a bunch of arse!