The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting the supra, Dixon's supra Project

safcdixon

Well the time has come too get rid of the terrible paint job some moron did on my car (and probobly replace it with a worse job), its not really the colour its the quality of the job (well it is a bit), it has bald spots, runs, dust under the paint and the doors shuts engine compartment have not been painted the same colour as the body outside it looks really gash and pretty embaressing tbh, im after ideas of colour, recomendations of how to do it for example sanding, cleaning and painting, i will be doing this myself i figure i cant make as worse job than whats already there. any ideas on colour 1st of all, im thinking a nice gloss black and doing my engine bay the ninja green the colour the car is at the moment. im also changing the front veilside bumper for a standard one with a carbon splitter, also debating on overfenders or just going with a bit of arch rolling as wide wheels are out of the price range what are the opinions on wheel spacers. Below is how the car stands at the moment. Thanks in advance marc image image

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres some pics of the bodge jobs ive found so far one of the pics is of the inner wing where the morons cut the headlight bracket out to fit the bodykit was held in lace with tiger glue and then layered filler up too the headlight to hide the fact nowt was holding it in on the nearside. .image image

I seriously hope a bodyshop never did that!

Really really gets on my nerves seeing stuff like that, thats shocking.

i really couldnt believe it tbh just glad the piece was there for me to weld back on, the car was painted the 1st time (the paler green) 10 years ago when it was still a pretty expensive car, 2nd time about 5 years ago(i think), the 1st job, well the bits i can see, looks like a pro job full engine out type job, 2nd job looks like it was done by stevie wonder and his guide dog

what you need to decide is what colour your going and how your going to apply it- aerosol, paint brush, roller or have you got a compressor and decent gun setup?

what did you use to rub the nova down with? all cars are the same, if the nova looked decent to you then approach it the same way mate with the supra

what you need to decide is what colour your going and how your going to apply it- aerosol, paint brush, roller or have you got a compressor and decent gun setup?

what did you use to rub the nova down with? all cars are the same, if the nova looked decent to you then approach it the same way mate with the supra

yeah got a decent compressor and gun both machinemart gear, it was all hand rubbed down which was real hard graft tbh and it was only a small car the supra is massive in comparison, i did use a mouse sander for some of it, but it just put deepish scratches into the paint which took ages to remove, is it correct to wet sand in between each coat of paint both primer and top coat?

dont worry too much about the scratches you proberly where using a too abbrasive rubbing down pad... we flat nearly everything by hand at our place (old skool)

Use a decent high build primer (3 good coats usually works for us) then mist a guide coat over it all (black aerosol or any colour) this will give you a good idea when wet flating the primer down that you dont miss areas and keep things even. we usually leave in primer for a good week to allow solvent to be released and ensuring its gone off good. then flat down.

thats the first stage roughly described

dont worry too much about the scratches you proberly where using a too abbrasive rubbing down pad... we flat nearly everything by hand at our place (old skool)

Use a decent high build primer (3 good coats usually works for us) then mist a guide coat over it all (black aerosol or any colour) this will give you a good idea when wet flating the primer down that you dont miss areas and keep things even. we usually leave in primer for a good week to allow solvent to be released and ensuring its gone off good. then flat down.

thats the first stage roughly described

old skool haha i like it, saves me a few quid there then on other power tools, also im doing the interior do i give the interior the same amount of coats as the exterior or less coats, thanks for the help btw