The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New triple plate clutch rattles while driving/ under load engaged..?

jihwaan

Ok so I had my mechanic install my exedy triple plate - sold disc centres - ceramatalic (what a lovely clutch to drive)- and of course its making the usual rattling noises at idle etc- no big deal. But under load when driving and when engine braking on decel you can hear this, well, rattle is the only word I can use to describe it but its more like a vibration rattle if you can get me- not there all the time just most times when under low load uphill, decel etc. Now I am not overly concerned coz the last clutch did this worse (and that was a twin disc sprung centres) - but my mechanic is. He says its bullshit and under load their should be no noise- I tried to explain I think its because there is no longer a dual mass flywheel to balance the drive line (its now a solid flywheel) the gear sets and all the other shit inside the box will rattle slightly with the harmonics of the engine at certain rpm / between certain rpm now that the dual mass flywheel is no longer in place to remove / reduce this - he isn't buying it (I don't know shit that is just what I have read and been told). He has been on the phone to Exedy Aust who say clutch shouldn't be making any noise under load/ normal driving- I agree and am saying its the rest of the gearbox that is rattling.

Normally I wouldnt give a shit and drive it because I am happy with it but this is the best mechanic around by far, and I take his word on pretty much everything as he is a no bullshit if he doesnt know he will find out type of guy with decades experience.

Any opinon's / idea's?

I don't know shit and am not afraid to admit that- but it seems sensible to me an undampened driveline is gonna rattle... but when a man who you respect and trust his 40+ years experience says it aint right it really makes me wonder and think maybe i need to look into this...?

(CW maybe...... lol I can only hope he stumbles past with an opinion...)

The noise you hear is from the drivetrain, the gears and propshaft are now driven by an un-dampened flywheel and a solid centre clutch plate set up. Toyota fitted a dual mass flywheel and dampened clutch plate to combat this. It's normal, and you just have to live with it.

^^^ this is exactly what I thought I knew (and I bet I read it in one of your previous posts).. However I had to give the noise some credence as this mechanic really is the best there is around these parts...

I like it when CW trolls through my threads and shares his knowledge. Chris you (and the other few guys - they know who they are- really contribute and make this forum such a good place to come and learn, and the fact you take the time for us and to answer our questions- guess I just wanna say thanks again. I don't get to drive my supra much, let alone get on the forums.... but when I do its usually with a problem and its great to have everyone's input- so thanks everyone for the replies!