The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on 295x30 19R tyres for maximum traction - 600+ hp owners only please.

sdistc

Hi all,

Just about to pull the trigger on a new set of rears for my car, but wanted to hear the latest opinion on the best tyre for big horsepower traction.

Car will be

* weekend driven,

* not in pouring rain if I can avoid it (but want some confidence in the wet)

* to fit 19x 10.5 rear (i.e. 295 size most likely)

* 600+ bhp (GT42R at 24ish psi)

* highway pulls, primarily

Watercooler talk suggests R888s (which is what I've gone for on Camskill) but if there is something better for £300ish a tyre, please let me hear your opinions.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I can only speak about the tyres I have run - back when I was using 10" wide rears, I had the BFGoodrich G-Force KD's which were phenomenal in the dry, also the KDW's which are more suited to mixed conditions. The KDW's are available in 295/35ZR19, so just another option for you...

i run a hks t51r spl bb which is based on a gt42, im running 295/30/19 r888s and put down 670 whp 1.65 bar it does spin a bit accelerating hard in second gear and full traction in 3rd, but at 2.05 bar 760 rwhp around 875 fwhp traction in 3rd does struggle sometimes. as an example i was on pirelli pzero rosso porsche 911 tyres first and the car would literally just light the tyres and hit the limiter at 100 mph is was undriveable below 100 mph 0 - 100 mph was over 10 seconds now with the r888s although it does sort of squeel the tyres and leave black lines everywhere it doesnt just spin up to the limiter its sort of accelerating very hard and squeeling at the same time 0 - 100 mph is now down to 7 seconds just with the tyre change.

camskill with discount was £540 for 2 delivered

gt42r turbos are rated to 1000 bhp so at 24 psi you should be around 700 crank hp id of thought.

You'll have to be VERY careful with your right foot with R888s in the rain, but as Jamie says you don't need to put the power down so just bear that in mind when driving. They'll also aquaplane seriously if you hit standing water, which can cause the back end to fall away from you if you're on a bend. I found this is especially true when you have all-weather rubber on the front.

However, in the dry they're awsome rubber.

Jamie, Dave, Scooby, Gaz - thanks for your valuable input.

Hi Andrew,

I can only speak about the tyres I have run - back when I was using 10" wide rears, I had the BFGoodrich G-Force KD's which were phenomenal in the dry, also the KDW's which are more suited to mixed conditions. The KDW's are available in 295/35ZR19, so just another option for you...

I've heard many good reports from the US about the KDs and KDWs, but they're not as easy to source over here. I will look into it for a price comparison.

Out of interest, what tyre are you running at present (in Sydney's potholes :p)?

i run a hks t51r spl bb which is based on a gt42, im running 295/30/19 r888s and put down 670 whp 1.65 bar it does spin a bit accelerating hard in second gear and full traction in 3rd, but at 2.05 bar 760 rwhp around 875 fwhp traction in 3rd does struggle sometimes. as an example i was on pirelli pzero rosso porsche 911 tyres first and the car would literally just light the tyres and hit the limiter at 100 mph is was undriveable below 100 mph 0 - 100 mph was over 10 seconds now with the r888s although it does sort of squeel the tyres and leave black lines everywhere it doesnt just spin up to the limiter its sort of accelerating very hard and squeeling at the same time 0 - 100 mph is now down to 7 seconds just with the tyre change.

camskill with discount was £540 for 2 delivered

gt42r turbos are rated to 1000 bhp so at 24 psi you should be around 700 crank hp id of thought.

Thanks for the first-hand account of the R888s. In my experience so far, there's few tyres than can truly hold traction for a decently powered Supra - unless we're talking semi-slicks.

As for my car, I haven't gotten my head around converting from rear wheel kilowatts or horsepower to crank horsepower or brake horsepower. Plus I've realised that dyno numbers are largely irrelevant - rather I want more real-world data like quarter mile E.T or 30-130 time etc. And there's always someone out there with bigger pockets and bigger balls :p

You'll have to be VERY careful with your right foot with R888s in the rain, but as Jamie says you don't need to put the power down so just bear that in mind when driving. They'll also aquaplane seriously if you hit standing water, which can cause the back end to fall away from you if you're on a bend. I found this is especially true when you have all-weather rubber on the front.

However, in the dry they're awsome rubber.

Yeah, I've always been very cautious in the wet - given that big wide tyres tend towards aquaplaning anyway, I tend to drive everywhere in 6th ;) But this will become, I think, less of a consideration if the car is truly a weekend car now (as I commute to work on the train). Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

As for my car, I haven't gotten my head around converting from rear wheel kilowatts or horsepower to crank horsepower or brake horsepower. Plus I've realised that dyno numbers are largely irrelevant - rather I want more real-world data like quarter mile E.T or 30-130 time etc. And there's always someone out there with bigger pockets and bigger balls :p

here you go this is my best so far and not perfect yet i need more seat time to get it perfected. this is unprepped tarmac 1/4 mile terminal and 30 - 130 mph reflect the on the move performance.

even with 2 gearchanges when it should be 1 for a fair comparison im still quicker than a mclaren f1 road cars 60 - 120 mph time

Edited by scoooby slayer (see edit history)

i was on pirelli pzero rosso porsche 911 tyres first and the car would literally just light the tyres and hit the limiter at 100 mph is was undriveable below 100 mph

Any tire that are designed for a Porsche are going to be terrible on a front engined car as there designed to have a lot of weight over the rear wheels.

I'm currently running 295/35/18 Bridgestone Potenza S02's and although I am not quite running your power, the grip is great, I was accelerating hard off roundabouts in 2nd the last time I took it out and it was just sticking (which started annoying me as I was wanting some cool little flicks :D).

Any tire that are designed for a Porsche are going to be terrible on a front engined car as there designed to have a lot of weight over the rear wheels.

I'm currently running 295/35/18 Bridgestone Potenza S02's and although I am not quite running your power, the grip is great, I was accelerating hard off roundabouts in 2nd the last time I took it out and it was just sticking (which started annoying me as I was wanting some cool little flicks :D).

a little more power makes a big difference thats 100% gauranteed, theres a massive difference in grip on the r888s going from 1.6 bar upto 2.05 bar boost

a little more power makes a big difference thats 100% gauranteed, theres a massive difference in grip on the r888s going from 1.6 bar upto 2.05 bar boost

Not quite sure what your answering to there, but personally, if it's just straight line power your interested in then I wouldn't bother with R888's, just get some drag radials, however, I was trying to offer some info up on handling capabilities, in which power has nothing to do with it and in my experiance, I find the Potenza S02's to be fantastic when cornering, even under heavy accleration on the exit, if I was wanting some track tires, I personally wouldn't go for R888's the rubber is too soft for a heavy car, I'd be looking at something like Yokohama A048-R's.

Not quite sure what your answering to there, but personally, if it's just straight line power your interested in then I wouldn't bother with R888's, just get some drag radials, however, I was trying to offer some info up on handling capabilities, in which power has nothing to do with it and in my experiance, I find the Potenza S02's to be fantastic when cornering, even under heavy accleration on the exit, if I was wanting some track tires, I personally wouldn't go for R888's the rubber is too soft for a heavy car, I'd be looking at something like Yokohama A048-R's.

you said not quite running my power so just answered in relation to that, a048s arent available for 19" rims so r888s are second best choice. drag radials cant be used legally on uk roads.

Thanks for your input - but obviously a street car can't be driving solely on drag radials. It attracts the wrong attention, will wear out way too fast, and will be a massive liability on anything but perfectly dry and smooth tarmac.

I'm more than happy to have a separate set of drag wheels and tyres, but this set of tyres has to fit my current alloys.

Thanks for your input - but obviously a street car can't be driving solely on drag radials. It attracts the wrong attention, will wear out way too fast, and will be a massive liability on anything but perfectly dry and smooth tarmac.

I'm more than happy to have a separate set of drag wheels and tyres, but this set of tyres has to fit my current alloys.

thats exactly my position i love my 19" volks so got the best rubber i could get in my size which is r888s.

i have a set of 17" avs rims for drag currently on yoko advan slicks to try out first.

you said not quite running my power so just answered in relation to that, a048s arent available for 19" rims so r888s are second best choice. drag radials cant be used legally on uk roads.

I was referring to the OP:)

Oh and drag radials can be used legally on UK roads;)

I wasn't actually suggesting you run radials 24/7, I was just referring to the other guy in that there is more than straight line power to be considered :)

p.s. If A048-Rs aren't available in 19's, have a look at the Avon ZZR's, I loved them, it's just a shame Avon don't do the ACB10's for larger wheels as they are easily the best road tire I have had yet.

I wasn't actually suggesting you run radials 24/7, I was just referring to the other guy in that there is more than straight line power to be considered :)

p.s. If A048-Rs aren't available in 19's, have a look at the Avon ZZR's, I loved them, it's just a shame Avon don't do the ACB10's for larger wheels as they are easily the best road tire I have had yet.

And therein lies the rub - the larger diameter you go, the fewer choices you get. One of the biggest reasons for my intention to downsize to 17 inch rear wheel - more rubber in width and height, lower cost and greater variety.

OH AND IF YOU WANT THE BIGGEST SELECTION OF TYRES THAT OFFERS GOOD WIDTH GET 18S. 17S BECOME SPARCE ONE YOU GO PAST 265 SECTION

Thanks, that's always good information to know. I could always get Tirerack to send me some, but I want someone local that doesn't take weeks for delivery.

IMPORT SOME NITTO NT-01..... OH HANG ON I DONT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO VALIDATE THIS RECOMENDATION. :p

If you have 599BHP then we don't want to know your opinion!:tongue:

Haha I know it sounds a bit elitist.. but then, we are Supra owners, and therefore a-holes :) I was actually considering putting 700+ ;)

Are you 100% fixed on that wheel size for the rear and it's a case of "what is best for this size"?

At present, yes - I'm just trying to get the car back on the road for the summer, and it already has 19x10.5 Rays GTS on the rear.

In future, it's become obvious that there are too many compromises with a 19 inch wheel (and to be brutally honest, I don't even think the car looks good with 19s), and I'd like to step down in size.