The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odo in KM Speedo in Miles, possible?

Thomas.B

Ive been looking at new Speedo clocks and the one I want shows both miles and km (miles as main).

I have a Thor delimiter on the car, is it possible for me to keep the miles speedo and somehow get the odo to count in KM again?

Yes you can as you can have both MPH and KPH readings on the same speedo.

The conversion from miles to kilometres is not dependant on the changing number, threrefore the movement of the needle would not change, only the location where the needle meets 10,20,30 etc should change and different units will use different conversion ratio's.

Unless companies sell a dial kit giving both numbers it would be easy enough to design your own. If you have miles but want to include KM, you could calculate the number of degree's per mile and convert this into degree's for each KM. Making it look decent would be the issue, and printing it on a nice laminate... it could be done though :)

There must be dial kits out there somewhere showing both???

Absolutely it can be done. In fact that is probably the most common configuration for JSpec cars running some kind of speed conversion. My JSpec has a MPH speedo but still counts up the distance in kms, and I have a Thor combined converter/delimiter. The make of converter is irrelevent: almost all will achieve a MPH speedo and a KM odo. The odo doesn't take the speedo reading as it's input, so converting one is actually easy to do in isolation to the other.

What you will probably want to do is to to get the odo reading altered by a reputable company so that it reads a true KM figure, otherwise you'll end up with an odo that reads KM for the first portion, then miles for the next portion, then KM again from then on. To me, this screams "bodge".

Thank you.

Do you know how I go about doing this on my own? I know a guy who probably can do this but it would be nice to learn how to myself.

The speedo im getting: http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatalog/Supra_MKIV_Auto_220mph.html

Oh and while we are speaking of speedo's and Odo's.... Is there anyway to remove only the front part of the speedo house to change them or must i remove it completely?

I don't know if those dials are designed to work with a mph input signal or a kph input signal. That's something you'd need to find out. For example, when your speedo needle is in the 12 O'clock position, you need to be travelling at 80mph for those dials to work properly. If you are, all you need to do is

I'm not sure what your starting point is. For a JSpec car with a speedo and odo measuring in mph/miles, you'd need to feed the odo with an unconverted signal rather than a converted one (JSpec odometers count up in kms naturally, and only by feeding them a converted signal will they count up in miles). Assuming the dial fascia requires a mph input, that's all you'd need to do.

I already have the Blitz 180mph ones, so the 220 should work straight on shouldnt it? Or would it be best to take the 180 ones?

It says miles in the digital ODO house aswell, thats why I thought I might need to hook it up to a comp. or something.

From where would the miles signal come from? The Thor?

The "miles" word in the odo display is a separate issue from whether it counts up in miles or kms. It's perfectly possibly to have the odo count up in kms, but have it display the word "miles". You can change the displayed word from "miles" to "kms" by tinkering with the odo's circuit board, but I don't have the details to hand. Try searching on here for the Thor speed converter instructions, I think they tell you how to change the word.