The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blown turbo?

Branners

On a UK spec car (so steel internals on the turbos) what could make a 'woooooo' noise when the second turbo comes on line?

Im 99% sure the turbo has gone as it wont hold boost either but I want to check everything else before it heads off for any turbo work.

The car has 125,000 miles so the turbos are near the end of their life...

JB

no blue smoke out the exhaust, yep, its a wooooo as soon as the second turbo comes on line, first turbo is fine. When the second turbo comes on line the boost wont go any higher. Turned it to ETTC and the wooo came on as soon as the boost was being made so its second turbo related..

JB

Hmmmm!?

It could be that one of the VSV's isnt opening and the build up of pressure in the vacume hose has nowhere to go (hence the wooooo noise! - Has to force its way out somewhere!).

Have you checked the pipe work for the boost controller is all still attached?

How did you first notice it, did #2 come online then just go???

could be that the actuator is shot if its not closing when it should then you will get no extra boost as for the noise well it could that the turbo is dead aswell i had both go and the heat build up near the waste gate cracked the surrounding metal on my T3 :cry: do the best thing and at least get it checked it dont take long to find out if its out of date aslong as your mechanic knows what to look for ;) and it could just mean a reacon which is far cheaper than a replacement peice.

Thinking about it you should be able to see the actuator arm move when it comes on boost get your head under the bonnet and give it a few revs (maybe quite alot)then you should see the arm move.

Originally posted by Rob22

Thinking about it you should be able to see the actuator arm move when it comes on boost get your head under the bonnet and give it a few revs (maybe quite alot)then you should see the arm move.

The only way your going to see any boost without the car moving is on a rolling road. You wont see any boost just by reving the engine at standstill! ;)

yep, thats the one. I heard that file many years ago and I was just clutching at straws that it might be something else...I have a set of import spec turbos lined up (yes, I just need to lose those dildos and fit the import rear lights and Im almost there..) so Im going to have to change the turbos. I will try and get a picture of what failed on them when they come off.

JB

Originally posted by Barry

The only way your going to see any boost without the car moving is on a rolling road. You wont see any boost just by reving the engine at standstill! ;)

Iam only trying to give the lad a few pointers and btw i would be willing to put money on the fact you CAN make the car boost standing trust me ive done so.